01-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
This is a pretty silly post, considering that most of those food boxes (tiffins) are being delivered to middle-class working men in a major metropolitan city. I think you neglect the fact that Mumbai is much like New York, where the majority of people do NOT own cars thanks to the insane road congestion and cost of ownership, which is MUCH higher than owning a vehicle in the United States. The registration fee ALONE for a new BMW 325i is approximately $15-20k, not to mention import fees, taxes, etc. Overpacked trains does not equate to impoverished people - I know many who take trains or buses in mumbai, and they are certainly not living in the streets. Congestion is just a way of life in India.

It's like saying that you shouldn't be driving around in a 335i when there are homeless people living on the streets in American cities, or people living off of food stamps in Dallas.

I'll stop here, but it really irritates me when people cast a 'holier-than-thou' attitude on developing nations and the contrast between rich and poor, when their own nations suffer from the same exact issues.
please compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. but if your ignorance insists it is the standard of living that was being commented on... obviously india and other developing countries do not have the same level of "standard of living" as we do. like i have said, there will always be the poor and the rich anywhere you go its the way it is as long as you live in this world. but lets be honest the average population in india does not compare to the average population here. its a fact... specially between the population of NYC and Mumbai like you compare to.

its just another fact and not a "holier-than-thou". and if you read with out being biast, i was actually making a point that TG depicted the very topic you are talking about... or came close to depicting that image.

but since you went ahead, stuck your head out and thought NYC and Mumbai is the same... if TG was true about the facts, do you really think you can get fresh home cooked lunch, whether in a can or a box for a month for only $4 bucks here, especially in NYC? come on now... no one would even carry me up a block on their back for $4 bucks.

and most indian population dont have cars because they cannot own one. plus infrastructure to own one isn't there either for the MAJORITY of the POPULATION yet. why? because like you have said your self, its a developing country, which was the same way in the 60s-70s for korea and japan... 40s-50s for the rest of the western world. oh and its congested because its over populated... you guys have 17.31% of the world's population in an under-developed country no wonder its congested. its obvious.

if your pride didnt get in the way you would see the facts too and accepted them with some intellect . and you shouldn't disgrace what you have now by comparing to what is obviously not comparable... people did and still give/sacrifice their lives for the "standard of OUR living" that you seem to take for-granted with your comment.

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0