12-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #56
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Five states have no sales tax. Many are around 3-4% and then there are a bunch around 6-8%. Different states tax leases based on payments or sale price, creating a huge variance. Add in the value of a trade in and it gets even murkier. It's so much easier to just discuss the price paid for the car and ignore tt&l. People also pay stupid closing costs at dealers, or a markup, a price for stupid sealants and seat treatments, tire insurance, etc. It's just so much easier to say the window sticker was $33k and I got it for $31.5k. My city has additional tax that people three miles south of me don't pay. But either way, none of them will get a $34k car to $40k.

And google the 2021 average new car price, it's $45,0xx. I saw Forbes, CNET and Edmunds all listed the same number.
I see where you were coming from, and your $45k was average not related to the N, that’s where I was really confused. Given 80+% of states have some form or theft also known as taxes it’s a fair assessment it will be at or around 40k and my point still stands, albeit vague. That’s a far cry from an Elantra 5 years ago even. Take the Elantra sport which was top of line bierman inspired, it was a 22k car.
Appreciate 0