View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #83
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Here in the Northeast US and New York City area, there are a lot of short highway onramps here. I drove a 5 series with the N20 engine in sport mode trying to merge onto highway traffic going at about 70 MPH. Honestly, I had to floor the 528xi in order to merge into the highway traffic. The 535xi merge onto the same short on ramp a lot easier.
I once rented a Ford Explorer while on vacation in Chicago, their on ramp is quite short I agree, but it's enough to merge into traffic without flooring if you plan ahead and signal. Mind you I was carrying 6 passenger including my 3 year old niece so I will not drive like a mad man or swerve into traffic like a race car driver and though that car have 6 cylinders, I doubt all of them are working as well as the ones found in my bimmer.

I think people on the road there are ok as long as you respect that there are other user on the same roads. All of them drive above speed limit but that does not poses a problem for me merging. Again, this is my experience, I couldn't say that will happen to everyone of us but it does sounds like a driver thing to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
"I'm merging"

That's what I tell my girlfriend every time I sprint up an on-ramp at WOT
Totally understand what you are saying
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0