View Single Post
      10-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have done a few of the ZF 6HP 'boxes now.

A few things I have noticed.
The following is from a post regarding ZF 6HP, but will be similar.

Every single filter I have taken apart, even with 150k miles of original oil have been fine inside when you pull it apart, they are pretty amazing.

Changing filter and oil without getting it all out is not as good as just a flush and leaving old filter in there.

Do not reset the gearbox completely unless you change all the oil. 7 litres even with new filter can cause issues if you reset adaptations.

Resetting adaptations with a complete flush, even with old filter in place has always been fine and feels like a new gearbox.

I undo the oil cooler pipe, put a garden pump on the end and push the old oil out.
Undo pipe, pump in new oil and the other end pumps old oil out.
It normally takes around 12-14 litres before it starts to come out a nice clear yellow.
Just keep an eye on how much is coming out.
I have a 5 litre pump, so pump 5 litres out as I am pumping 5 litres in.
Keep going.
I buy the ATF AG55 for £70 for 20 litres.

Anyone can do this at home.
Might be worth doing first, for the sake of £50 worth of oil, you might not need to do anymore than that.

I did a Disco 3 with 172k miles on it, it was going into limp mode between 3-4th and some grumble from TC.
He bought all new solenoids.
I convinced him to simply do a flush first.
You have to lift engine on Disco to get sump off.
He did a full flush, we reset gearbox adaptations, it genuinely feels like new. Smooth as silk changes, no flaring and TC has no grumble.
He is now at 210k miles.

My F11 is now approaching 90k so will do this soon.
Need to look into the cooler on these as would like to get it all out and new stuff in.

Not saying don't change filter etc. But before doing solenoids and seals I would first do a full flush and reset adaptations on the gearbox. I have solenoids sat there in case I have even needed to replace them, but even after codes showing 3-4 change etc. that point to solenoids I have yet to need to swap any out.
Appreciate 0