View Single Post
      02-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Ask the prosecutor for a reduction in speed in exchange for a guilty plead. They don't want a trial they only want your money. Getting a lawyer is a waste of money as you can usually get just what they get although they do sometimes get considerations from the judges and prosecutor and you get to go first too.

If you want to know what to expect you can go the week before and note the plea deals. But note that they will know you went to "school" and will know what for as well.

///Rich
This is sage advice.

They want an easy win and your money. I care less about giving them my money and more about points on my license. My approach (granted with mixed success) is usually:

1// Once pulled over, acknowledge I was going 5-10mph over the limit and that I'll take the ticket no problem if we can agree on that.
2// Ask the officer my options for courthouse appearance. Depending on where you're ticketed, they usually have multiple locations and you have the right to choose...choose one they don't want to show up at and you may have a no-show officer (this is luck mainly)
3// Contest by mail. Usually they're so backlogged (I'm in California, not NJ, mind-you) that you have a shot of winning purely based on luck/laziness
4// If that fails, show up to court and there's a solid chance the officer is a no-show.

Again, I'm in California and NJ may be different.