View Single Post
      06-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Question Multiple errors after cooling system and transmission service

OK, I could use some help. I finished replacing my water pump, radiator, thermostat, drive belt/pulley/tensioner, transmission pan/filter, and mechatronic sleeve on Monday. I took the car for a post-repair test drive and everything was great. I went out to drive the car to work this morning and it wouldn’t start. I had a bunch of error messages pop up on the dash and infotainment screen...transmission malfunction, brake system failure, etc. I put the car on the battery charger and tried again when I got home. The car started and moved, but the same errors showed up almost immediately. I scanned the car with my BimmerLink app and got this list of codes:

Error memory
Date: 6/8/21, 4:38 PM
VIN: WBAFR7C55DC818132

10 Central gateway module
2 errors
CD040A: FaCanBusOff
801C20: Central fault memory full

12 Motor electronics
1 error
CD840A: FA-CAN Control Module Bus OFF

18 Transmission control
5 errors
CF0403: CAN: (FA-CAN) communication error
CF19C1: Message group error 3 (effect while driving: none) Message missing, receiver EGS (FA-CAN), transmitter Kombi (FA-CAN)
CF20C1: Message group error 3 (effect while driving: none) Message missing, receiver EGS (FA-CAN), sender CAS / FEM / JBBF / FRMFA (FA-CAN)
CF18E1: Message group error 3 (effect while driving: none) Message missing, receiver EGS (FA-CAN), transmitter ICM (FA-CAN)
CF16D1: Message group error 3 (effect while driving: none) Message missing, receiver EGS (FA-CAN), transmitter DSC (FA-CAN)

20 Tyre pressure control 1

1 error
D11403: Message (drive train data, 0x3F9) missing, RDC receiver (K-CAN), DME1 transmitter (FlexRay)

29 Dynamic stability control MK60 E5
1 error
4809C1: EMF takeover not possible

40 Car access system
1 error
D91410: DME CAN message data drive train: Missing or CRC error

5E Gear selector switch
1 error
E09400: Message (data display gear train, 0x3FD) missing, receiver GWS (PT-CAN), transmitter EGS (PT-CAN)

60 Instrument panel
6 errors
E11460: Message (data display gear train, 0x3FD) missing, receiver KOMBI, sender EGS DKG
E11462: Message (data display gear train, 0x3FD) not current, receiver KOMBI, sender EGS DKG
E11465: CAN communication error E1040A: FA-CAN Control Module Bus OFF

B7F68B: KOMBI: gear position, switching point display switched off (implementation error)
B7F68C: COMBI: Error in gear position, shift point display, CAN messages (detection by graphic board)

Lots of CAN errors, but where to start? I have ISTA+ if that helps instead of BimmerLink.

Also, during my repairs, the car slipped off the jack and I broke two of the 3 bolts that mount the EPS motor to the rack. I removed the motor, used an easy-out on the broken bolts, replaced the EPS motor, and did the steering wheel end stop teach procedure with ista to center the steering wheel. All of which worked perfectly during my test drive.

I was thinking it might be a bad battery but it’s only about 18 months old and seems to holding a charge.

Any ideas?

Last edited by beegeezy; 06-08-2021 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0