View Single Post
      06-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
ericbmwlover
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i 6speed manual

How to detach green air duct from blower housing

After reading multiple sites and finding no info, I did figure our how to remove the flexible green air duct that goes from the blower housing to the passenger cabin.

I think on early F10s, the air duct is glued using a sealant to the blower motor housing. It looks like you might be able to unscrew a clamp on the passenger cabin side, but this didn't work and the screws are not accessible.

First, we need to disassemble the blower assembly in place.

There is a top piece with wires running across, that can easily by taken off by just removing a few torx screws. Once that is unscrewed, it is not really easy to detach the wires, so just leave this part wired but push or tie it off out of the way.

Then there is an additional internal plastic piece or baffle that can be removed completely. A few more screws, and a few wiggles, and this piece can be taken off. It has a center honeycomb that is centered on the squirrel cage. Once this piece is off, you can access the air duct.

The air duct end on the blower side looks like it can be pulled up, and is glued. The trick is the air duct end actually needs to be pushed down. (Or the blower assembly pulled up.) But since it is glued, pulling the blower housing up doesn't work. What worked for me was working an xacto knife along the edge of the blower housing, cutting and cleaning out a bit of the sealant. Really just working the sides, sort of sticking the blade in, twisting a bit, all while pushing a bit downward on the air duct end. Eventually, the whole air duct end slid free downward.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0