View Single Post
      02-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'll add my observations on battery voltage in the F10/F11.

I use a CTEK smart charger and often the charger indicates I'm running just under the 80% SOC, (short rime in Step 3 bulk charge). Under hood terminal voltage will be something like 11.9 Volts at 10C, ahead of the charge. Even after the charger goes to Step 7, Float mode, and is switched off, the voltage will still only be 12.2 -12.3 Volts.

I've not disconnected the battery to read voltage without anything connected. But with the car unlocked and services awake, I've always found the voltage is never what you'd expect to read for a fully charged battery. This is not a recent thing as the battery is aging, but been the same for over 3-years. Plus my previous two BMWs were the same, when winter charging. Not uncommon to read just over 12 Volts at the hood terminals with the car unlocked.

I think next time I trickle charge the battery, I'll leave the leads connected after charging. Disconnect the charger, lock the car, let it go into sleep mode and then read the under hood voltage, from the extension lead socket. See what the difference is to the car being awake.
Appreciate 0