Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2dmax View Post
How hard was the job? I need to do mine as well
If you’re used to working on basics like oil changes and plugs and coils it’s not too bad. I personally do everything I can to not have to pay a shop, plus I really find doing the work myself rewarding.

The actual gaskets aren’t bad to replace. Its a bit messy, mostly because of the coolant, and it’s really just a lot of steps to get to the one rear bolt on the oil filter housing.

I ended up removing the intake manifold completely to get to that bolt, which requires the air inlet filter box to be removed as well as the upper charge pipe. And because I removed the intake manifold completely to better clean the surface and install new gaskets on the manifold, I also had to disconnect all the wiring harnesses from the DME and various other connectors and tubing around the engine bay on the drivers side.

I also replaced my upper radiator hose since I expected it to be brittle and need replacement anyway. And I indeed the small top nipple snapped off of it as soon as I started messing around in that area.

One thing to note too is I disconnected the injectors electrically before firing it up the first time to get oil flowing without actually starting the engine. That required some extra disassembly and temporary re-assembly of the passenger side intake pipe to get to the injectors before then removing and re-installing it again. I might have been able to just leave the whole harness disconnected, but I ended up disconnecting each injector individually right where they connect to the harness beside the coils.

Another option here I’ve heard is to disconnect the low pressure fuel pump fuse and let the engine run itself dry before starting the work so afterwards you can prime the engine without having to get to the injectors. That would most definitely save time and energy doing it that way.

I ended up spending about 6 hours total doing it, taking my time to clean each part and take photos along the way to help with reassembly. I’m sure it could be done in half the time now that I know what I’m doing and if I was really in a rush.

Hope that wasn’t too in depth! Haha.
Appreciate 4