United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
why is the earth getting warmer.
Since you are an ME, I'll keep this simple.

Changes in the amount of insolation (incoming solar radiation) are the most likely cause of large-scale changes in Earth's climate,i.e. related to the topic of this thread (Grand Solar Minimum). The earth exited the last ice age ~12,000 years ago as a result of warming when CO2 levels were low. CO2 levels remained low (<300ppm) until around the turn of the 20th century. Since the end of the last ice age, warm periods existed when CO2 levels were low, i.e. the Roman Warm Period approximately 2000 years ago and the Medieval Warm Period approximately 1000 years ago. The Vikings settled on Greenland during the Medieval Warm Period. Evidence indicates the earth was as warm or warmer during the those two warm periods than currently. CO2 levels were low during those warm periods. Elevated CO2 levels did not exist during the Roman Warm Period or the Medieval Warm Period as indicated by ice core data and thus it is concluded that warming occurred during those time periods absent elevated atmospheric CO2 levels. Something else caused the earth to warm during those periods, most likely changes in the sun's output or the amount of solar radiation reaching the earth.

Quote:
Please tell me what the mechanism that has caused the earth to have the 20 warmest years in the last 25 (since say 1890).
Data manipulation and fabrication. Also, data inaccuracy due to elimination of rural temperature reporting stations in the last 30 or so years and the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect on the remaining temperature reporting stations in urban areas resulting in elevated measured temperatures. It has little if anything to do with rising CO2 levels. Do you honestly believe that 20 of the last 25 years are the warmest years on earth in the past 129 years? If so, I find it hard to believe that educated people are this easily taken in.
Zugzwang1145.00
vreihen16689.50