View Single Post
      09-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Update.....

I originally purchased a set of 255/40/19 for my F10 550i. Had them on for 1500 miles, and they felt amazing but were the loudest tire I've had on any of my 8 cars, including OEM. They were awful between 30-60mph on all roads, and unbearable on any rough/uneven road. Car has 68 miles on it when I put them on, so no issues with alignment, wheels, hubs, ect.

Fast forward I get them replaced under Michelin 30 day guarantee and swap for a set of 245/40/19 Continental DWS The conti's are 10mm narrow and run narrower even in the same size, but I was willing to deal with that. 1300 miles later and the Conti's are the quietest tire ever, but also the softest and mushiest sidewall. In my 4500+ lb 550xi, with ARS, this was an awful combo. Steering response was the polar opposite of the OEM RFT whereas the A/S 3 Michelin's were 75% as good of a feel as the RFTs. Being an XI, I would have these tires on year round, and even knowing that the DWS were amazing in winter, I couldn't deal with the mush feeling. I've driven the DWS on an E90 (my friends) and had the summer Conti DW on my 335d, but on a 5 they were just too much for me.

Fast forward again, under the Continental 60 day guarantee I swap back to a set of Michelin A/S 3's, but this time in a smaller (factory) size of 245/40/19. Performance continues to be beyond impressive, in both the dry and wet (to early to tell for snow, but I'm assuming they'll be mediocre at best unlike the awesome DWS), HOWEVER, the noise emitted from the original set is 75-80% no longer present. My assumption is the original set, or at least 1 or more tires was defective somehow.

In the past I've driven on:

Continental DW
Continental DWS
Continental ContiSport Contact 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Falken FK452
Hankook Ventus V12
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW
Goodyear Eagle LS-2 RFT
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT

It's hard to make a true apples to apples comparison given that I drove all of those on different cars, in different sizes, but my general sentiment is that the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are easily the best all around All Season, bar none, and are better than many summer tires in dry and wet grip, and obviously crush the summers in treadwear. I strongly recommend them....
Appreciate 0