View Single Post
      07-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
digitalnoah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG View Post
When encountering a rough patch of road ahead (on a highway for instance) the instinctive response is to hit the brakes in an attempt to lessen the damage to the wheels & tires. This causes the front of the car to dive.

I would think Adaptive Drive would respond initially to the dive by stiffening up the suspension, aggravating the problem you are trying to lessen by slowing down.
Two thoughts:

1. Suspension has no effect on tires/wheels. What ever impact the tires/wheels receive has already occurred, and the job of the suspension is to diminish the feeling of the impact to the passengers in the car. So avoiding big pot holes to protect your tires/wheels is important no matter what suspension you are running.

2. The goal of adaptive drive is to keep the car level, flat, and square, reducing the effects of a brake-induced nose dive, a cornering-induced body roll, or a pot-hole induced bounce. This youtube video (4 of 4 in a whole series) explains the technology pretty well in the context of running over bad spots on the road:

Last edited by digitalnoah; 07-07-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0