View Single Post
      07-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Handling is great on my car, however I am wondering if the variable dampers would eliminate some of the minor floatiness that is residual over larger undulations..
Yes, I do believe the damping is better for floatiness. Even in the most comfortable setting I've noted that when you load the car, (passengers or a trunk full) the damping responds. Where you'd expect more float with load, it tightens the body movements, certainly does so in the wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
A car of this size definitely benefits from VDC+ARS.. which is why you only get the VDC on the 3 series.. body roll is the major issue with the 5+series.. which ARS solves with brilliance (or upgraded springs if it is not an option).
ARS is definitely the part which enhances the handling and 'shrinks' the 5-series driving feel. IMO, it is a far superior approach to roll control than upgrading springs and/or roll (sway) bars. Stiffer springs are a compromise, as you have the negatives, like a harder ride and more intrusion from single wheel bumps. Upgrading roll bars don't help single wheel bumps either, plus you then amplify the problem of 'copying' to the other wheel on the axle.

Adaptive Drive works, I rate it very highly in my 535i wagon.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0