View Single Post
      07-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #36
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Yes, I do believe the damping is better for floatiness. Even in the most comfortable setting I've noted that when you load the car, (passengers or a trunk full) the damping responds. Where you'd expect more float with load, it tightens the body movements, certainly does so in the wagon.

ARS is definitely the part which enhances the handling and 'shrinks' the 5-series driving feel. IMO, it is a far superior approach to roll control than upgrading springs and/or roll (sway) bars. Stiffer springs are a compromise, as you have the negatives, like a harder ride and more intrusion from single wheel bumps. Upgrading roll bars don't help single wheel bumps either, plus you then amplify the problem of 'copying' to the other wheel on the axle.

Adaptive Drive works, I rate it very highly in my 535i wagon.

HighlandPete
The (formerly "Royal") Hong Kong Police use F11 535i's for highway duty. Wouldn't expect a wagon like that to be able to weave through cars at 180km/h.. I think they run on stock 17's, which is probably the reason they lost traction.. medium-wide up and down sweeping curve with a seam right at the crest probably was what wrong-footed it.

When I get the chance I'll try to see what my car can do on that particular piece of road..
Appreciate 0