07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #44
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think you are forgetting the significance of the increased damper rate on the compression stroke. The 5-series has continuous (and independent) variable compression and rebound rates. So the spring rate + additional compression damper rate helps prevents the dive you would get with a soft compression damper setting.

Think it through with more emphasis on the compression stoke, (on the front axle) rather than the rebound phase. See where that takes your reasoning on the wheel loading during a braking impact.

That is why I reason the higher wheel loads compared to a spring with a softer damping rate. But as I said in my last post, I question if the loads will be much different than with M-sport suspension, where the sport spring and damper rates could be just as resistant to the same impact during heavy braking.

ARS may help reduce a single wheel impact during straight-line heavy breaking, as there won't be the same resistance to suspension movement as there would be with a passive bar. But ARS will have no effect on an axle wide impact.

HighlandPete
OK, thanks Pete - this makes sense to me. I wasn't thinking about the damper resisting compression... but I suppose that's correct when I think about it. In which case, the damper could very well help prevent nose dive, I agree.

Thanks for the great explanation!
Appreciate 0