01-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyvalentine View Post
While I respect you Qsilver, I don’t believe induction would be a player here. That implies a cut key is being inserted into the ignition in the column (like the e38 works) or the keyless FOB is being held near the column where the glyph of the a key is located. Otherwise the key can be thrown in the back seat under some blankets and the vehicle will still start with comfort access. Which would require battery power.
Thank your for the respect (and I do appreciate those words & sentiments). It's dialog like this that we all learn. You raise a very good point.

Based on the bolded text in your quote above...I think we are on the same page. If you remove the battery from the remote...it will still start the car if near the vicinity of the "glyph" on the side of the steering column....there is a electromagnetic induction field around that area...and when the remote is near it, the engine can be started if the START button is pressed and your foot is on the brake. The ability of the remote to start the car without a battery is due to this induction field where the remote, CAS, and ring aerial (used to be called ring antenna back in the e38/e39 era) communicate with each other sharing their encrypted identification that allows the engine to start.

See info below that discusses the ring aerial and how induction allows for the car to start. If you move the remote too far away from the induction field, then the car won't start. I've also seen a warning when the remote is moved too far away from this induction field...just as mentioned in the info below.

FYI: ID transmitter refers to the remote fob in info below
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-31-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0