09-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
These subscription-based apps are just a variant of something that's been around a long time, utility-based pricing; you pay for the features you want. But with the apps, you subscribe to the features you want.

Now that cars are a piece of software with wheels I think it's the direction the industry will go; whether we like it or not. It's the direction that the software industry seems to be going. A software product needs constant fixing and improvements. A company making the software needs a steady incoming money stream to do that.

A few years ago, Adobe moved to subscription-based products. It generated tons of negative comments from users; "I'm switching from Photoshop to Gimp." What was happing to Adobe was users would buy a copy of Photoshop and wait for 2 or 3 or more major version changes before they would buy an upgraded version.

Adobe made the switch in spite of the user comments and did quite well by it. IMHO, I think users did too; now all the Adobe products are getting updates to fix and improve things in a more timely fashion.

Originally computer software was never sold, it was given away with hardware, but you had to subscribe to support. For the most part, the software was useless without support. That's how companies got the money they needed to fix and improve their software.

Software products were sold for PC's when they come out. It's taking a long time, but I think industries realize there isn't a practical way to "sell" software.

Please don't shoot the messenger ; subscription to auto apps is the future. It will get interesting if the auto industry opens its "software with wheels" products to third party apps.
I don't mind having an auto subscription for software. BMW Is implementing subscription for hardware.

I don't mind the Adobe subscription though. I don't have to pay $3,000 for Photoshop. I pay like $8 or $10/month an get Photoshop and a boatload of other software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0