View Single Post
      01-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
Paul.004
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I have a 2012 528 and I know my oil pan gasket is leaking slightly and needs to be replaced at next service. Maybe same for you?
Yep I’m thinking that’s the problem I’m having too unfortunately. I add 2.5qt last night and haven’t started it since. No leak at all. So I think it’s only puking it after when pressure builds up? What you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
Did you check to make sure you don't have oil leaking from any other areas? It's not a hard job to do, just takes some time as there are a TON of bolts to take out/replace. You'll want to check to make sure you have the right tools before starting. If not, and you can't get them from a friend, the costs of buying tools may not be worth trying to DIY. Just depends on how much DIY you plan to do
I’ve already spent $100 on tools and haven’t removed a single bolt. Not counting the ones that hold the under tray lol. I got quoted $800 from a local shop to replace it. Would you say it’s worth it to D.I.Y it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
I would say it’s a lot more common to replace the oil pan gasket than the oil pan itself. Also check other common leaks like valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets. The amount of oil leaking seems excessive so you should be able to identify the source.
Yep I’ve done that. It’s not coming from the filter or the valve cover. Only visible accumulation of oil it’s around where the pan bolts to the block. Do you think starting it with 2.5qt of oil will damage the engine? Just want it to build some pressure to see if I can spot where it’s coming from.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Paul.004; 01-20-2020 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0