View Single Post
      05-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

OK here's a related question. I've let my suspension settle for a couple of weeks. I have not booked alignment/corner balancing yet. I'm wondering about ride height.

Measured from the hub center, AWD F10s call for ~385mm front ~370mm rear - so 15mm lower in the rear than the front. I can't say I observed my vehicle looking like that, nor would I want it to. I do see some F10s look like they are dragging their butts though.

I was initially thinking I'd be happy with ~20mm drop. Although with KW height adjustment also affecting preload, I didn't want to end up "high and hard" because that would be....lame.

I built the coilovers on the bench in the middle of the recommended preload range and I was surprised my ride heights came out higher than I thought they would. As I measured tonight (center to fender):

LF 355 RF 360
LR 353 RR 350

I'm still thinking about whether I want to target ~355 or ~360 on the front. I was then going to raise the rear a little and see where I get and how it might change the way it drives. Just wondering what other people have done (other than the ground-scraping slammed folks).

I'm really interested in whether the corner balance process ended up with the rear lower again.... I'm wondering if it's speced like that because it's nose heavy and they're trying to equalize the weight a bit. Would it be bad to undo that....
Appreciate 0