03-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
I know the 6-speeds are very rare, so ultimately I may not find enough selection that the choice between 535 and 550 is even mine to make. But is it safe to assume they're about equal?

The 550i is more car, has suffered from more depreciation, but will likely cost more to maintain?

The 535 is plenty of car and a bit more nimble, but lacks the grunt of the V8.

Whatever I get will be RWD and won't have an automatic transmission, so that's a little reduction in potential trouble spots.

So... strictly 6-speed... any strong feelings one way or the other for my spirited daily driver/work car/family car?

Thanks!
Plenty of discussion on the forum about "no need" for 6 speed manual in this type of car, but once again I'll repeat myself.

If that's "your thing", and it seems to be, as amazing as automatic transmission in these cars is, it's simply no match for enjoyment of driving a manual. Sure I'd likely be happy with automatic, just not quite "as happy".

And this is not about just pure performance, as numbers seem to favor automatic transmission in both, acceleration and gas milleage. It's about driver's involvement and enjoyment you get out of driving manual transmission car - again, for those who like that kind of thing.

So yeah, RWD, manual transmission.... can't go wrong, what's to argue - except perhaps on potential resale value down the road.
Lots of snow where I am too, not an issue with good winter tires and common sense.
Appreciate 0