View Single Post
      11-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #38
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
that looks a very efficient design. nice and clean. but i gotta believe that it will provide more aural improvement than actual performance. i just dont see any intakes on the n63 adding power when the primary restriction isnt being addressed.

the mouth of a funnel can be as big as you want but the volume that goes thru it will be determined by the small end. and its obviously hard to address the small end of said funnel on the N63...

The small end i debated redesigning and creating the intakes to be something like the F10 intakes, elminiating the 180 bend you see now.

The small end does not determine volume because the governing equations for fluids will dictate the amount going through(for a subsonic flow). The selection you have shown will have a very high velocity(not ideal for a turbo setup) but it is not dictating the amount of flow. The flow is not choked so the size doesn't deter the flow. The size decreases the amount of work(power) needed by the engine to get the flow from A to B. In this situation the portion you have outlined is sacrificing pressure to increase velocity. The mass flow is the same at the start and the end because the compressor wheel is doing the work.

Think about it like a straw, i give you a small straw, you can still suck x amount of air. Now i give you a large straw, you don't have to suck as hard to get same x amount of air in. That's the very crude explanation without breaking down the physics of what's going on. But my point is, your concern with the small portion, the volume that can go through the small end is far from supersonic so the flow is not choked, that is the only time the volume of flow would be a concern.

-R
Appreciate 0