View Single Post
      07-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
varun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-sport

ACC stop/go Active Cruise & driving assistant

After clocking in hundreds of hours with this system in Europe (euro delivery), and in the US, I have to say that I am VERY disappointed with this option after testing it out on other manufacturers. I mean look at this video, a new Hyundai can do it better, and hold a lane too but that my $80k BMW cannot?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...y-system-video

Firstly, the car can park itself via parking assistant, so why cannot that hardware be used to hold a lane on the highway? Hyundai, Lincoln etc have had this around for some time now. Secondly the car WILL NOT give you full brake pressure like they told me when I ordered the car, it maybe 50% at best with the collision warning going crazy then I have to intervene.

Here is a scenario, when set to maximum safe distance (4 bars) and the car is cruising at 70mph, it will not see a slow moving 35mph car dead ahead until say 200 feet, then it 'lazily' applies the brakes and I can tell it wont stop in time. When the collision warning goes off, I've to give it full brake pressure (brakes primed as they are being applied at around 50%) till I hit ABS and it will stop.

Have I just got an early build and can this be fixed with a software update, or is the system just crap to begin with? I understand its an 'assistant' but it really doesn't do much, other than the active cruise which modulated speed on the highway to make the driving less stressful. This will NOT save you in the event of a potential accident
Appreciate 0