Thread: N63 catch can
View Single Post
      10-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

N63 catch can

I've read that the N63TU has this built-in, but has anyone attempted this on the N63 and had decent results? When taking out the intake components I've seen oil seepage from the piping into the intake
(Intake-facing end of #1), so am inclined to install this as a sort of preventative maintenance mod.

I don't mind getting shitty mileage but am concerned if the reason I'm getting 13-15 MPG is because of more than an average amount of oil getting into the intake though the PCV system. Based on a random search of other 550 owners, it seems others get around 18-21MPG (granted most cars are not MT):
http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/550i

I've ordered two Mishimoto-like cans two-port cans (one for each bank) and piping and will be doing an install around late November/December. Might have to get a shop to make some custom brackets since I haven't found any pre-fabbed ones online for the F10 550/M5.

Based on the videos I've seen online for other cars, unless the catch can is super-high quality, some liquids may still get down the line, and you probably don't want that type of gunk going back down into your sump as is done with the N63(TU) considering crank-case blowby gasses have a lot of contaminants. It's done that way as a simple solution for people who actually wait the typical OCI of 10-15k miles.

Here's a guy who put two catch cans in series low vs high quality, and reversed the order to compare:

Spoiler alert: $300 can ate most of the heavier fluid gunk but some liquid ended up passing to the second can, which demonstrates that for regular cars it would end up in the intake. We have the oil separator to reduce this but it's a plastic/rubber unbaffled valve system that opens under pressure and wears over time.

I want to see if this has any effect on mileage and if I get reduced smoking on cold starts.

Update: Pics of installation in post below.

Last edited by windowmaker; 12-10-2018 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
TTV8M123.50