View Single Post
      07-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #11
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I recently went from an E90, 2006 325i, to a 535i in March. First thing I noticed of course was like you, how big it felt. I had the opportunity to pick up the car in Sacramento, CA and drive home to Los Angeles. Honestly after a couple of hours behind the wheel, I felt right at home again as at speed, it really "shrinks" around you. The cockpit is really set up for the driver and makes it feel smaller after some time. The other major difference is (and I think someone mentioned it) the seating! It is ridiculously comfortable! I do have the comfort seats option though.

I was fortunate enough to grab one of a few manual transmission cars for sale at the time - while the throw is pretty long and standard to stock bmws, no short shift kits exist for the car. I had installed an OEM short shifter lifted from another model so I can't speak to the shifter feel.

As far as handling/suspension, I installed ISC coil overs on my E90 but drove the E90 for a number of years with stock sport suspension. The F10 is larger and is not as agile it seems as my old E90. However, the suspension on the F10 is not all bad at all. It is confidence inspiring, firm yet compliant and smooth. My particular model doesn't have sport suspension but it does feel stable at speed, while being sporty when needs be. I agree with another that upgraded sway bars and a slightly lower stiffer spring shock combo, it would be perfect. I mentioned I road-tripped from Sacramento to Los Angeles and if I had made the trip in the E90, my body would have been tired and sore by the end, keep in mind I'm only 35 but it still would been a tiresome road trip. In the F10, I felt refreshed and not sore at all!

I've had an E36, E46, E90 the latter two of which had modified suspensions. I'd have to say the F10 is the best feeling of them all from quality, finish and refinement. I don't feel the trade off in suspension is a deal breaker at all.

As others have stated as well, there is a different feeling being in an F10 than in the 3-series. You're in a different segment and find yourself being a better more mature driver as a result, if that makes any sense.
Appreciate 0