02-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Sorry to hear this man. I know, it's not exactly a risk free job. What makes it worse is that sometimes brute force is required, but apply too much and you break something. For the plastic handle holder, yes, care is required because of the fiber optic wire, and that's actually in the ISTA document I attached too.
Oh yes! I was extremely careful of the fiber optics. That part is fine. Unfortunately the loops that the handle back plate clip in to broke so it doesn't hold in as securely. I know I broke one, but I think my dealer may have broken the other.

Anyways - I was just adding warnings on top of the fiber optic warnings. The fiber optic ones are still true. It would be VERY easy to totally trash the ambient lighting.

Quote:
For the P/N: Agreed. I recommend you use https://bimmercat.com/bmw/EN and your VIN. Then filter according to your options. Apparently, 51 21 7 229 455 is for comfort access cars (S322A) and 51 21 7 202 143 for vehicles with an alarm system (S302A). I have both and had 143. Do you have an OEM alarm? Anyway indeed, ETK is very unclear on this point as 455 also shows up as a valid option for me... No idea about the difference if any, but if ETK doesn't say parts are in the same family there's a good risk they aren't, maybe at electrical level, depending on ECU used who knows... So in your case you would normally need 455 or 461.

Edit: By the way, I think that sometimes the latch is fine, but when the door is reassembled the technician could pinch the internal bowden cable going from the handle to the latch. So just maybe you reassembling the door and putting some lube actually fixed it. Time will tell.
Your parts site is different, and disagrees with RealOEM, but I like it. One of the two has a typo maybe. A critical one. I like the way yours handles vehicle options better. I don't understand why when you provide the VIN it doesn't filter everything that isn't right.

My relevant options:
  • S323A Soft-Close NO
  • S322A Comfort Access YES
  • S302A Alarm YES
  • S8TGA Thiefproofing NO
  • S4URA Ambient Lighting YES

RealOEM has a whole section of latches with no option requirements, which includes 51217229455 (the part I found in the car). Then it shows 51217202143 for Alarm and NO soft close, which is me! It's also in the same option group as the right side 146 which the dealer installed.

bimmercat shows the whole first group including 455 with Comfort Access YES (which is me - and not a distinction shown in RealOEM). Then it shows the group with 143 is for Alarm and NO Soft Close (like me).

Is the Comfort Access receiver in the LATCH (this part) or elsewhere? All of my electrical/mechanical tests did not specifically test the function of comfort access. Hmmm. A quick google seems to say its in the A pillar.

Of course if you read too much into these parts systems, it looks like you cannot have Comfort access and soft-close, for instance, which we know to be false.

realOEM:

bimmercat:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0