View Single Post
      01-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #343
Flying_Squad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520D M Sport

Another interesting query/update regarding the X5M caliper option…

I met up with Bozman today, who’s done the X5M front brake upgrade. It has been discussed here many times, that wheel size (20inch) and the concavity of the wheel design is quite crucial to pull off this mod successfully and without fitment issues.

We mounted my 20inch wheels (Avant Garde 359M), onto Bozman’s car to check fitment with the X5M brake setup in situ and discovered that whilst the spokes (due to their concave shape) cleared the calipers comfortably, the space between both the top and bottom end of the caliper (think vertically tip to tip) only cleared the inside of the wheel, by a ridiculously low margin, we’re talking some 1-2mm clearance.

So we discovered, that not only is the size of the wheel and the concave design imperative for this mod to work, the overall wheel design (inner part of the wheel well) is just as significant, due to the size of the calipers.

So the good news is it works on my car as a proof of concept - but only just!

The question is, does anybody foresee any implications, functional or otherwise, that this limited clearance of 1-2mm between the top and bottom ends of the caliper and the wheel, may have for daily use?
Appreciate 0