Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
If this was another fishing expedition with all the crazy tech and stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to fight to get out of it. I guess my question is, being that it was a bolt, albeit a possible mechanic screw up, is it still a safety issue? I'd really appreciate any feedback from you guys.
Yes absolutely - I can see that the guibo bolts have a torque spec of 20Nm with a 45deg angle of rotation. Means of how I have this info is a different conversation, but I am looking at official BMW repair spec.

I would seriously doubt how well they read the instructions before/during replacement of such an important part. Also concerningly is that they replaced the eccentric (assuming front prop shaft to transfer box) shaft along with the Valvetronic. That basically sounds like "we need to do heart surgery but also we caught something is wrong with your arm so we took care of it too".

It is a safety issue at the very least on the dealer level. That bolt shearing off sounds like it was overtightened, and as you were accelerating to merge the highway it snapped. In BMW's defense they have the spec but obviously it is up to the service techs to follow it.

But this repair along with the Valvetronic is the concerning part for me. I think an avenue to explore would be "I bought this high-performance vehicle to enjoy it within legal limits, but also in the way it was designed. I am no longer comfortable owning this vehicle after the extent of the repairs done, especially in questionable manners"
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25166.50