View Single Post
      05-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #43
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks. These a real solid points. If there is access to a service manual that I can download online, and I can get help from this forum, I don't have any problem figuring out most repairs. I've done CV axles on Toyotas and Hondas since they typically go somewhere around 125 - 175 K miles. Probably the most complicated thing I've done would be a timing belt since you have to take off a bunch of stuff to do that on either a Honda or Toyota. Plus rotating the crank so it's TDC . Long process but not that hard.

I guess the gray area for me is exactly how different they are to work on. Is BMW notorious for creating proprietary tools and parts to do basic things like CV axles? For example, if I was going to replace a knocking CV boot joint, I would go up to AutoZone, and rent whatever size metric nut I would need for the axle nut, I think it's 34 mm, and whip out the service manual PDF and maybe YouTube and go to town. Plus I have a car lift so that helps. Maybe I'm just too darn practical to own these elegant German machines.
Appreciate 0