View Single Post
      08-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
jeffm4688
Private
Rep
Drives: F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Here is the thing about the dealer; they are always going to give like 70% of what your car is worth because that 30% is where they make money. The only I would trade in my car is if it was paid off because then it allows for a tax break when I purchase a new car. I'm t considering selling my 13' 535xi M-Sport as well and I got offered $21k when I know I get $29k for it private (https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/c...239162088.html). I'd recommend selling your car private.
In most states you get the tax break regardless of if it's paid off or not. So if the dealer would be offering me $18K I'd have to sell for $20K or more for it to be worth it where I'm located.

$18K is what I'm showing as auction value for that car which is exactly why the dealer is offering it. In a worst case situation where he can't sell it that's around what he'd make sending it there. Assuming he decides to sell it for $23-24 on his own lot he'd likely have to recondition, at minimum oil change/detail but maybe tires/brakes which adds to his cost but I can't speak for this specific car. Assuming the dealer is decent anyway who knows.
Appreciate 0