View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

High spec 2014 535d with 67k miles - should I get BMW warranty?

I am about to buy a 2014 535d Touring with 67k miles from a non BMW dealer. However it does have a full BMW service history. I do about 7k miles per year.

It has loads of extras
  • Adaptive Drive
    Integral Active Steering (4 wheel steering)
    Rear camera with Park Assist
    Professional Navigation
    HUD
    Comfort Seats
    Soft close doors

I am worried about possible repair costs should any of these go wrong, never mind all the usual worries with these complicated cars (it has 2 turbos!).

It comes with 6m 3rd party warranty and I am being offered a further 6m for £299. However I am not yet sure what that covers and I doubt it matches the BMW warranties. However the BMW warranties are very (very) expensive. Driveline is about £850 and Comprehensive is about £1350 per year.

Question: with this car, and with these added complicated options, should I go for the reassurance of the BMW warranty? And if so, to be worthwhile would it need to be the Comprehensive version? Would this cover my fancy Adaptive Drive and IAS?

I'm wondering if i should go with the cheaper options I am being offered for the first year and then maybe upgrade when they expire, by which time the car will be year older and more likely to have problems.

Are AD or IAS known to be troublesome? My online research does not suggest so but would like to hear any feedback.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0