Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Blue:
Both types of watches exist for both types of collectors and every kind in between. The thing that distinguishes the curator from the consumer is how they go about choosing this and/or that watch, not necessarily which watch is chosen....

More often than not, a curatorial-leaning collector either (1) knows exactly what watch s/he'll buy next or (2) has narrowed the choices to two watches and needs only to determine which one most nearly meets and fits best with his collecting objectives and themes. No other person is going to be able to tell him/her which way to go because nobody is going to know every nuance of the purposes for the acquisition. A consumerist-leaning collector more likely will struggle with choices. Lots of watches will look good to him and s/he can't make up his own mind about what to buy. Lots look good to the curatorial guy too, but that's due to appreciation, not specific desire.

I think the above shows, however, that there's lots of room for any one individual to be bits of both types of collectors. Also, it's not that one type is "better" or "worse" or "greater or lesser." It's just different ways of going about choosing what to buy.

Another huge difference between collectors of the two general types I mentioned is this: curatorial-leaning collectors won't care about what watches are fakes, homages and copies. They don't have any horological appreciation for them, but they also don't feel threatened by them or concerned with the folks who wear them. I can say honestly that not one super serious watch collector I know or have casually met gives a tinker's dam about a fake or close copy watch. I can also say that every single one has had a deliberate experience with a fake (usually the highest quality fake they can easily come by) so that they at least have an academic understanding of what is being offered. In other words, to obtain a perspective and to put the things in the right perspective for what they are as timepieces.

The consumerist-leaning folks tend to be the ones who have conniptions (figuratively) over fakes. For the life of me, I don't understand why, but I know they do. Were the guy nest to them on the subway wearing a fake version of their watch actually capable of doing something to them directly, I'd perhaps understand, but that's not what happens. I can only hope that the folks who are so outspoken about the unrighteousness of fake watches also are so stridently vocal about the wrongs committed against their fellow men who have no means to defend themselves as they are about standing up for the intellectual property rights of huge companies that have scores of attorneys advocating on their behalf in the world's courtrooms.

Obviously, other folks may feel differently. Some folks for example are just into the complication itself and don't care for the flamboyance of the artful implementations of it. That's fine too. As I said before, the reason why one buys a pricey watch is what's most important, not whether one is curatorial or consumerist.

All the best.
I like the write up definitions, it puts a lot if views and comments into perspective... as one that would be categorized as curatorial leaning, I have a hard time understanding the consumerist behaviors of most when it comes to watches and determining a choice. As u say, I always know what I want until I get it and then the seach begins for the next one, (or the next next one ) as I'm usually thinking of the next two at any given time. I could not care less if anyone likes or dislikes my purchases, nor if it bothers them that I may have X# of watches from the the same design house or that may look similar, or if they are too big or this or that, you name it and I've heard it because so many people are consumerist leaning and have no set focus on a watch and it's brands history and place in time or the market. I can appreciate many watches without actually wanting them.
I also agree that I don't get the fake /copy/ "homage" watch thing. It's odd for sure, it doesn't threaten my collection at all, but it's just strange to me. A fine watch is a pure luxury that is appreciated for the acquisition and knowing what you've got and the history of the brand and all that went into making the watch, it's movement and it's design..... it's not like one really needs a watch to tell time anymore, they are pure jewelry and complete unnessary purchases but we love them all the same. You can't get that feeling from a copy, IMHO.
Appreciate 0