View Single Post
      09-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Journalism Photography

I will be joining my school's JSA club as a journalist/photographer for publications and advertisements. But before I do, I feel like I need the right equipment to display my potential as a photographer.

For those who don't know, JSA is basically a way for kids to become involved in current issues and debate them amongst other schools and even states. I'm not interested in that at all. I'm just interested in taking pictures that will help this club out and free them from the horrible pictures in their magazine

So imagine a photographer crawling around at the bottom of the stage taking pictures of speakers. What kind of equipment would I need? I've looked at recent photos of Barack Obama and John McCain at campaigns and it seems like every photo is just them in the center of the picture, making gestures in thin air with their mouth wide open. The background is blurry, fuzzy, whatever you want to call it. I can't seem to replicate this effect when I take pictures.

This is a whole new kind of photography for me. I usually take pictures of cars that don't make unpredictable movements; but humans - humans are unpredictable

I use a Nikon D60 with 18-55mm and 55-105mm lenses. I was thinking about using the larger lens at a distance and zooming on the subject to imitate that blurry effect, but I haven't had the chance to try.

Help?

Example:
Appreciate 0