05-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Well I didn't say that so nice try twisting my statement. You do need to understand a bit of engineering to understand my position. Your assumptions are very limited.

If you have an active lifestyle such as going skiing, hiking, camping, biking, EV can be more inconvenient than ice. It is not ev's fault but rather lack of infrastructure.

Also, do you know how many people live in condos and townhomes and can't charge at home?

Let's take my dd e90 and compare to any ev. I can park it anywhere 12 mo a year in FOUR season climate, start it up and go ANYWHERE without worrying whether I'd be able to recharge it. I can cruise at 80 mph all day long and get gas anywhere within 5-10 mins. I can go skiing at -10C, park it all day, and drive back with min impact to the range.

The ev's today are still very primitive machines. Their simplicity should be an advantage and the cost should be lower than ice. Carrying ~500lb battery is primitive tech. I would consider ev at $25-30k only as a commuter vehicle with 200-300 mi range.

Is 9800lb e Hummer mature ev tech? Don't think so.

I do give Tesla credit for developing ev vehicle that has limited usage and pushing the ev tech fwd but it will be another 20y before infrastructure and modern ev tech is available to majority of population. Again, need to understand engineering of ev's AND infrastructure.

Now, imagine if you compare ev's to bmw 328d (euro 320d) or Jetta tdi?

How about work trucks pulling a small trailer like landscapers? Would they buy it?
You are literally making my point for me. No, someone with a trailer wouldn't buy it, they would buy a truck, because that's the right tool for the job. I own a 32' trailer and I also own a truck to haul it around. There are PLENTY of people who probably have no reason to own an EV and in fact it may be a pita for them to do so. Like you said people in apartments or homes where they don't have a charger in the garage (our home in NC is an example). People who need to tow shit, people who travel cross country all the time and only have one vehicle, people who only care about performance.

Again my point is none of that makes it a "bad" vehicle. It may be a bad vehicle for THAT person but not in general. For me it was fantastic. Never had any issues with mine. I only used the 120v charger in my garage 99% of the time and I only charged it to around 80%. Always had enough range to do everything I do on a daily basis. My longest drive is up to my in-laws about an hour away, no problem doing that trip on my 80% charge with plenty left over. I'm also personally a fan of tech and for the most part I love the tech in the car. I thought I would miss things like apple carplay, but I didn't.

I also don't think everyone is going to have an EV in a couple of years, if they did we would be really fucked. I think ICE vehicles will be with us for a loong time and I will continue to own both to suite my needs.
Appreciate 5
mikado463468.00
yousefnjr6184.50
M3WC3646.50
Almuliman507.50
damack189.50