View Single Post
      05-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #51
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

I can "afford" it too, but just because you can afford something doesn't mean you will feel comfortable getting it ( you said yourself "could probably stretch to a loaded M3 as well" which tells me you really can't truly afford it) ... if you have couple millions in your bank account then yes, you can REALLY afford it, but most people don't... most people on this board got many other payments to take care off such as houses, insurances, kids, wifes, etc, etc not just car payment... and bottom line is, if you ask 100 people if money is no issue, 95 would pick 550 over 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Actually--I don't agree. I could afford a 550 and a 740 as well, and could probably stretch to a loaded M3 as well.

I also had a 335i and and 328i before that. When I moved to 335i from 328i, I found the 335i more frustrating to drive than the 328i in the city with stop and go traffic and barely any open road. In the track the 335i was more enjoyable (but more difficult to drive) as was the few times a month I got to a wide open country road with more than 5 sec for WOT.

I paid more than a 535i than my loaded 528i on order because I found the NA engine more enjoyable to drive. Doesn't mean you (and everyone else) should find it as well since you may live in a different city and your driving pattern may significantly differ.

Its similar to the 335i vs M3 arguments on e90post. In certain conditions the 335i is actually better than the M3 due to the low end torque, but on the track the M3 will smoke 335i everytime. so if you buy a daily driver with zero track time, the 335i may be a better car for you even if you can afford the M3.
Appreciate 0