01-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Heated Steering wheel DIY

Hello,

Last year I upgraded the steering wheel in my F10 to the M-Sport one. Everything has been running great. I knew that when I purchased it, that it would have functions in it that my car did not originally come with.

One of the missing functions is the heated steering wheel. (I do not have KAFAS or KAFAS2 for the vibration, so that's a dead-end).

I have been doing some research and it seems that the heating element requires a pinout on the clockspring/control arm part that my car just does not have.

I have searched these forums and found a post about piggybacking off the 12v/ground from the airbag pinout. However, I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible and avoid questionable power draws.

My question is if I buy the following parts, and VO code for heated steering, will it work or is there something that I am not accounting for?
I have confirmed that the steering wheel has the heating element inside just to be sure, just not the pin header to connect to on the steering column (aka clock spring) as I said.

So I think I would need a new clock spring/control arm section, and a new switch to turn on the heating:

Steering column/Clock spring/control arms (Part# 61319354047):

Steering wheel heated switch/column adjuster combo (Part# 61319188878):

I know that just buying the switch won't work, that much I have researched to 100% confidence.

Any thoughts of problems that I may run into, like that car not accepting a new SZL and other things like that? I'm somewhat comfortable with ESYS coding, so lay it on me if you have any advice.

I have been referencing this guide, but unfortunately, they do not go into detail on what to do if our cars do not have Lane change/departure warning, since those are the cars that would have the socket required to make the heated steering wheel work (since vibration and heating share the same 12v line)

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit PDF

Thanks!
Appreciate 0