View Single Post
      03-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
F25 sounds normal. Voltage is regulated so you won’t see it jump up and down coasting or on the gas. It’s job is to keep your voltage steady. Your car is designed to not fully charge the battery so it is normal to not be at 100%. If you plug in a trickle charger to bring it to 100%, it will slowly drain back down.

Sounds like your F12 alternator may have an issue. It should not be at 12.3V when engine is running. Even without the engine running, your battery should be ideally at 13.5V. When engine is running, it will be slightly higher at 14-15V.
I have never seen a number as high as 13.5volts for a battery standing on its own. Every reference I've seen, and it's a lot, is that a fully charged battery is supposed to be about 12.6 volts. And that is what I have observed myself. Do you have a reference for that higher number?

As for the voltage jumping around, or being less when not coasting, I found a number of older "that's normal" posts from people discussing what is normal. If it does not change, then I don't understand how the Regenerative system works if the alternator is working the same no matter what. Anyway, that is why I was asking if people have actual data points to share.
Appreciate 0