Thread: Wheel cleaners
View Single Post
      07-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I guess the question is maintenance cleaning versus long overdue cleaning....

If you're long overdue you need some heavier cleaners. Wheel Brightener, Sonax (which includes an iron remover) and the like. Once you get things clean, the goal is to keep it that way without returning to the occasional use chemicals.

For decades now I have used a wax or sealant on wheels but it always had a lot of trouble lasting through the winter on my winter wheels. Since I change over wheels for the seasons this gives me the opportunity for a thorough cleaning and treatment once per season.

Once per season I clean with something like Eagle One A2Z or Meguiars D143 undiluted or 1:1. I also use Iron-X and rinse off again. I have started using Gtechniq C5 wheel armor ceramic coating - it always lasts the season and keeps things from building up again.

My maintenance clean every wash is usually Meguiars D143 2:1 or 3:1 and soft brushes or sponges in whatever shape required to adequately reach the contours of the particular wheel style. I use some different tools for summer vs. winter as a result. Generally the dust rinses right off due to the C5.
Appreciate 0