09-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Why in the world anyone would want to do this is beyond my comprehension. I spent most of my time, when I owned my M4, trying to prevent excessive wheelspin when accelerating from corners, passing cars on the highway, etc. It would break the wheels loose in 4th gear at any time. I just drove the M4 at COTA, and felt the same thing. OTOH, my M550i hooks up immediately, rocketing away from red lights, and out of corners in the Hill Country. And the M5 I drove at COTA after I drove the M4 was head and shoulders above in speed, cornering ability and ease of driving. All because there was no wheelspin, just massive acceleration. I'll keep my Xdrive, thank you. YMMV
I don't like the way my F10 X-Drive "feels" compared to every other RWD German car I've driven. I DO like the way my F10 X-Drive can rocket around in the snow and wet without worrying about traction for accleration. (I also have a friend with an F10 M5 whose chief complaint is traction, so I get it)

The downside of "feel" includes 1/ "dead" steering (but people have accused the F10 M5 of that too); 2/ really strange come-and-go understeer when accelerating, at all - even nowhere near the limit, seems to be a component 3/ torque steer (probably ties into #2). They all add up to my F10 X-Drive not feeling like it wants to be pushed. Yes, it's big and heavy, but so was my E39 and it loved to be pushed when I felt like it. I already have Michelin PS4S, so rubber isn't the problem. I've already tried to balance the handling with sway bar combinations and those are as good as they're going to get too.

I would like the software option of turning off X-Drive for the summer. Even better would be the more advanced X-Delete options: "Sport" mode (likely designed to emulate the F90 M5). I'd be even happier if XDelete offered a mode where X-Drive was on until you set DTC, then it was RWD only.

I know it's not a sports car, but I only have one car, and every previous German car, even in the same size/weight class, has been more fun. For the cost, XDelete would be worth a try. Unfortunately it doesn't cover my build date (yet).

I also have MHD stage 1 and xHP, which have improved the driving experience engagement level quite a bit.

Last edited by Surly73; 09-27-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0