2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Gulf heat causing loud fan?

09-18-2023, 02:59 AM   #1
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Gulf heat causing loud fan?

Hello everyone,

I live in Oman where temperatures reach as high as 50 degrees Celsius (120F) and I noticed that my F10's fan sometimes becomes too loud. My car does have the hot climate package (823) so I assume it should be able to handle this weather. I noticed that there are 2 specific ambient temperatures (in the cluster) where the fan behavior changes.

Below 37.5c: Fan not audable/running at very low speed.
Between 37.5c & 41.5c: Fan becomes audable/ running at moderate speed.
Above 41.5c: Fan runs at max speed and very loud.

Keep in mind that the fan is only heard when driving at low to moderate speeds; below 60mph or so. Also when parked the fan stops unless I park for a long time then after a while it would start running very fast and loud; I assume from heat soaking at this high temperature weather.

I know in the forums usually loud fan equals bad water pump but my point of making this thread is to ask if those high temperatures justify the fan being this loud or is it actually the water pump on its way out? Also is the behavior of the fan as it changes with those temperatures, is it standard and could mean that nothing is wrong?

Note that the oil temp gauge shows that it never exceeded the halfway mark in all of those cases mentioned above.
Appreciate 0