2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My last nice car was a Porsche 996 turbo... I was not prepared for the 550i

05-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Profssor
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

My last nice car was a Porsche 996 turbo... I was not prepared for the 550i

Hi Gang,

I purchased a 2013 550i last October and had it delivered. About 1/4 mile after driving it off the transport, the engine threw a rod and seized. BMW towed it to a dealership and they replaced the motor, turbos, and any part that had engine oil delivered to it. I had a 2019 X3 rental for about 7 months, and I paid for absolutely nothing... not the rental, not the engine, turbos, or anything else they replaced under the recall.

I get the car back, baby it for the first few hundred miles and then finally punch it a little bit. I must admit, I was not expecting the power that this engine delivered. It was flat out amazing. This thing pulls like a freight train. Not 911 turbo fast, but close enough that I was jaw dropping shocked.

I get that these are ticking time bombs... and had I known of the recall and all of the problems with this car, I would have never bought it. Now that I own it with a new engine, I will probably keep it with my fingers crossed that I do not run into any issues that are not covered by one recall or another.

This is my first BMW ever, and I really must admit, I am thoroughly impressed. I am a long time gearhead mechanic turned engineer turned professor, and this thing satisfies the gearhead, engineer, and the professor in me.

Amazing car... really amazing.

Joe
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Welcome to the family.... 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Welcome and I hope you have many years of enjoyment from your 550 despite the rough start. So glad you were able to get such a good outcome on the engine replacement and hopefully the new engine will give you a relatively trouble free experience.

I've had my 550i for a few months now and I love driving it. Absolutely fantastic commuter that can also provide some fun when pushed. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0