2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Custom N55 air intake journey

09-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #23
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Creating the new harness extension is going to involve cutting the existing. Unless someone knows the female back to male connector for the MAF.

Here's what is needed:
- 16-18 gauge wire
- wire strippers
- Tesa wire loom tape
- electrical tape
- heat shrink tubing
- heat shrink butt connectors ( I'm not soldering )
- protective wire wrap
- heat gun
- test subject F10 MAF intake adaptor
How do you feel about liquid electrical "tape?" I read some really good things about it and bought a bottle off of Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #24
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Creating the new harness extension is going to involve cutting the existing. Unless someone knows the female back to male connector for the MAF.

Here's what is needed:
- 16-18 gauge wire
- wire strippers
- Tesa wire loom tape
- electrical tape
- heat shrink tubing
- heat shrink butt connectors ( I'm not soldering )
- protective wire wrap
- heat gun
- test subject F10 MAF intake adaptor
How do you feel about liquid electrical "tape?" I read some really good things about it and bought a bottle off of Amazon.
I saw it but know nothing about it. I'll check it out.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #25
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
You get extra style points for doing all your work poolside.

Do you have any concerns about the MAF or any other the other sensors reading correctly? Do they need to be in the correct "spot" in order to read right?

Periodically my BMS intake causes a CEL for too high of airflow, can't imagine what this one would do! But I also don't have any remap of the ECU to expect and handle the higher flow... so not a big deal, easy fix with another upgrade.

Please post videos with sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #26
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
You get extra style points for doing all your work poolside.

Do you have any concerns about the MAF or any other the other sensors reading correctly? Do they need to be in the correct "spot" in order to read right?

Periodically my BMS intake causes a CEL for too high of airflow, can't imagine what this one would do! But I also don't have any remap of the ECU to expect and handle the higher flow... so not a big deal, easy fix with another upgrade.

Please post videos with sounds.
In theory, MAF shouldn't care where it is. This intake isn't necessarily increasing the volume of air being pulled into the intake, just the routing it takes. So the actual airflow past the MAF shouldn't really change... in theory.

This is an awesome project, but I have to say it's jank as all hell and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
BrowBMW the airflow error just needs to be reprogrammed. The distance between the maf and the crankcase sensor I don't think matters but I did try to keep the stock order. MAF, Fuel Vent, Crankcase Vent/Sensor.

Unspec is right i don't think MAF placement is critical minus putting behind the grill, that might a bit much for it to calculate.

In regards to volume of air it will ultimately be the same I'm just hoping the max volume comes in sooner given the shorter distance and RAM style placement. The sound according to $howtime456 is dope too!

Also I may have found the female adaptor to the 4 pin maf sensor. If that works i don't have to strip any wires! I'll post that if it works.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #28
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I'm right behind you on doing this mod... Can't wait to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

-Nevermind, figured it out-

Last edited by Unspec; 09-10-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #30
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Some inspiration for the scoop part of the intake. Could make it out of sheet metal and then wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl

Edit: Might not work too well for people with the intake fins that can open and close

Last edited by Unspec; 09-10-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #31
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Some inspiration for the scoop part of the intake. Could make it out of sheet metal and then wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl

Edit: Might not work too well for people with the intake fins that can open and close
I am looking into an option that doesn't put the filter cone behind the grill directly. Since fall is approaching I think I will order some parts but wait till summer to go at it
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #32
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I like it, you could do a summertime set up with the filter behind the grille, and a winter set up with the scoop putting the filter back upline a bit so it wouldn't get soaked... for crying out loud we spray meth/H2O into our engines I highly doubt you'd get any amounts of water in the intake, through the FMIC, through the charge pipe, into the hot Intake and then into the motor that would do any damage... you'd have to suck so much water before that'd happen. I love the CF look, it's nice.

Where is that pic from? is that an M5 Ram air intake?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #33
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
I like it, you could do a summertime set up with the filter behind the grille, and a winter set up with the scoop putting the filter back upline a bit so it wouldn't get soaked... for crying out loud we spray meth/H2O into our engines I highly doubt you'd get any amounts of water in the intake, through the FMIC, through the charge pipe, into the hot Intake and then into the motor that would do any damage... you'd have to suck so much water before that'd happen. I love the CF look, it's nice.

Where is that pic from? is that an M5 Ram air intake?
What about getting water into the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #34
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
2nd phase has arrived.

Heat shield doubling up as a scoop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #35
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Here's an overview of the duct path.

Looking at it this way I might have to make a version 2 by getting rid of the u shape connector, modifying the intake to connect directly with 90 degree aluminum elbow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Dtex535101.00
BurrNinja427.50
CC42426.50
      09-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #36
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:

Looking at it this way I might have to make a version 2 by getting rid of the u shape connector, modifying the intake to connect directly with 90 degree aluminum elbow.
Looking good!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #37
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Assuming there's no obstructions. You could get rid of the U section by just chopping the turbo elbow really short, use a short-ish section of plastic piping the same diameter as the OEM intake, and then connect all of it using silicone couplings. Stick the sensors on the plastic part and you're done.

I wonder if you could stick some rubber molding on the end of that heat shield to seal it up kind of tight against the plastic areas to form a pseduo air box.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #38
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Assuming there's no obstructions. You could get rid of the U section by just chopping the turbo elbow really short, use a short-ish section of plastic piping the same diameter as the OEM intake, and then connect all of it using silicone couplings. Stick the sensors on the plastic part and you're done.

I wonder if you could stick some rubber molding on the end of that heat shield to seal it up kind of tight against the plastic areas to form a pseduo air box.
If I attempt to do the version 2 I have to extend the fuel vent from a 3/4th fuel line to a 1/2 NPT or something similar. I'm not sure yet what the crankcase valve tubing size would be. For now, in this version 1, I don't have to modify any stock hardware and this includes possibly the MAF wiring too. Waiting for some adaptors to arrive.

If I did a stage 2 of this I would modify the inlet and go from a 2.5 to a 3" flaring out the input of the inlet. Additionally chopping the U section and making a true Ram/Cai.

As far as a airbox/plenum goes there's no room for that by the grill and i don't know enough about the science behind a proper plenum. I guess its time to start googling

Though on the thought process of a plenum I briefly thought the U Shaped connector kinda acted as my airbox. The elbow and the VW piece goes from 3" to 3.5 and then at the inlet it's 2.5.

So I figured maybe there's a always a little reserve air stored in that section 🤷🏻

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #39
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If I attempt to do the version 2 I have to extend the fuel vent from a 3/4th fuel line to a 1/2 NPT or something similar. I'm not sure yet what the crankcase valve tubing size would be. For now, in this version 1, I don't have to modify any stock hardware and this includes possibly the MAF wiring too. Waiting for some adaptors to arrive.

If I did a stage 2 of this I would modify the inlet and go from a 2.5 to a 3" flaring out the input of the inlet. Additionally chopping the U section and making a true Ram/Cai.

As far as a airbox/plenum goes there's no room for that by the grill and i don't know enough about the science behind a proper plenum. I guess its time to start googling

Though on the thought process of a plenum I briefly thought the U Shaped connector kinda acted as my airbox. The elbow and the VW piece goes from 3" to 3.5 and then at the inlet it's 2.5.

So I figured maybe there's a always a little reserve air stored in that section 🤷🏻
Ah, didn't realize the stock tubing for the sensors wasn't long enough to reach. 2.5 to 3 inch, with 3 inch being the part that connects to the filter right?

As for the plenum, you could potentially look into 550i intakes for inspiration. A lot of them include plenums, and since the actual engine compartment is the same for both cars, so the design work is basically done. Just gotta adapt it to your car. You could probably 3D print one even
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #40
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
When are you doing a test fit? Or what is keeping you from a test fit?

Looking good.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #41
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, didn't realize the stock tubing for the sensors wasn't long enough to reach. 2.5 to 3 inch, with 3 inch being the part that connects to the filter right?

As for the plenum, you could potentially look into 550i intakes for inspiration. A lot of them include plenums, and since the actual engine compartment is the same for both cars, so the design work is basically done. Just gotta adapt it to your car. You could probably 3D print one even
It goes inlet 2.5 to U Shape connector 2.75, u shape connector 3.5 to 3" to air filter 3"

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #42
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
When are you doing a test fit? Or what is keeping you from a test fit?

Looking good.
Test fit happens as soon as I fuse the MAF adaptor to the U Shape connector. I am waiting for the 4 pin adaptors to arrive so I don't have to splice my wires. Though I might get antsy and start cutting.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #43
MaximumFreckles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Msport

I was just looking at making an airbox in the empty space the other day. nice velocity stack and fittings, cone on inside of box (or appropriate shape, and a small inlet that goes from the box to the grill. I know people like the intake look behind the grill, but I would rather it have better water protection. also the difference would be negligible.

I am currently running a large cone, 6" flange velocity stack to 4.5". then a 45° silicone reducer from 4.5" to 3.5". then a short straight pipe that has been ovaled to fit in stock pipe. great response, hear turbo spool even at low rpms. best of all, temps are better than stock. but ever the tinkerer, I want to so something different.
Attached Images

09-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #44
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

very cool bro! can't wait for this to finish and see how it works. this reminds me of my old skool days with the Iceman Intake system. my buddy had it on his Mitsubishi Eclipse and it was blue and the piping seemed too long and it finally found it's way to the bottom of the bumper where the filter just sat sucking up everything from air, dirt, water, ect
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1