2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 LED Cornering light Upgrade retrofit

01-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSRQ View Post
marmit 2017, thanks for the informative info on the LED upgrade!
I am about to make the purchase of the items you gave links to, but have some questions.
1) when purchasing the LED bulbs, did you purchase the additional resister pack?
2) I have the Carly adapter.... and have used it to change several options. So, if I turn off the High beam monitoring, do I need the resistor pack, (or will that just stop the initial start-up flashing)?
I didn't do the resistors. Just bought the bulbs listed and coded it using Carly and have never had any issues
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
inSRQ
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Garage List
2011 550i  [0.00]
Thanks, bulbs just arrived and connectors will be tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
iRoik
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
For those who have replaced their bulbs with LEDs, how does the brightness compare? Loving the look of the LEDs but don't want to loose any (or much) functional brightness
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #26
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you get the right LEDs it will be brighter than halogen
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #27
iRoik
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes bulbs can seem brighter, but don't actually throw light as well as other technologies, which is definitely the case with LEDs.

Keen to try this soon, the links in your first post are very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #28
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoik View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes bulbs can seem brighter, but don't actually throw light as well as other technologies, which is definitely the case with LEDs.

Keen to try this soon, the links in your first post are very helpful.
No problem. Just don't go the cheap route with your leds, as that will set off error codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #29
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
I didn't do the resistors. Just bought the bulbs listed and coded it using Carly and have never had any issues
Thanks for sharing your experience and info. I have been experimenting with several incandescent bulbs; however, unable to find an appropriate color hue to my liking.

Under what ECU did you code? FEM? Any coding info would be greatly appreciated. TY!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #30
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience and info. I have been experimenting with several incandescent bulbs; however, unable to find an appropriate color hue to my liking.

Under what ECU did you code? FEM? Any coding info would be greatly appreciated. TY!
I think it's in the frm not sure tho. I just used Carly to code it. Even tho it's the cornering light, it's under high beam voltage on Carly
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #31
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Does this have a better light output compared to the original halogen bulbs? I want to know if there is any better sight when doing this mod
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #32
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
Does this have a better light output compared to the original halogen bulbs? I want to know if there is any better sight when doing this mod
Pretty much the same honestly. It's for aesthetic purposes mostly
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #33
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Also pretty great for blinding other drivers if you're into that

The video you posted on the #3 post show how much higher the LED's light cone is.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #34
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:

The video you posted on the #3 post show how much higher the LED's light cone is.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The led light bulb, if a high quality one, is put in, it shouldn't really cause glare. The light emitting from the headlight lamp is already aimed pretty low and out of the other drivers' way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #35
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lmao the video you're referring to is from a Mercedes and I only posted it so people can get a reference of what to do with the bulb holders, has nothing to do with the cone or visibility. Read before commenting so you don't make yourself sound like a complete idiot. I also said light output is about the same so idk how that would make you blind someone, and these are cornering lights, they don't constantly stay on...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #36
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lmao the video you're referring to is from a Mercedes and I only posted it so people can get a reference of what to do with the bulb holders, has nothing to do with the cone or visibility. Read before commenting so you don't make yourself sound like a complete idiot. I also said light output is about the same so idk how that would make you blind someone, and these are cornering lights, they don't constantly stay on...
Your video perfectly highlights the issue with putting LED's in halogen housings.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #37
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your video perfectly highlights the issue with putting LED's in halogen housings.
Lol. In a Benz, not a BMW. And bulbs for two different purposes. And the cornering light housing has a diffuser so it doesn't glare up. If you haven't tried it or see it in real life I suggest you find something you're more knowledgeable on to critique.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #38
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol. In a Benz, not a BMW. And bulbs for two different purposes. And the cornering light housing has a diffuser so it doesn't glare up. If you haven't tried it or see it in real life I suggest you find something you're more knowledgeable on to critique.
Oh my bad, wasn't aware that MB and BMW followed different laws of physics.

You really should google how light scatter works.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #39
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh my bad, wasn't aware that MB and BMW followed different laws of physics.

You really should google how light scatter works.
Let me repeat it again, because it doesn't seem to be seeping through your thick skull, the led bulb in that Mercedes is being used for the low beam. The led bulb in the BMW is being as a cornering light. Different housings, different diffusers, different functions. Your theory suggests that, for example, swapping out a halogen turn signal bulb for an LED will blind oncoming traffic- two totally different things. I also bet you can't name one law of physics. So take your smart ass comments elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #40
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let me repeat it again, because it doesn't seem to be seeping through your thick skull, the led bulb in that Mercedes is being used for the low beam. The led bulb in the BMW is being as a cornering light. Different housings, different diffusers, different functions. Your theory suggests that, for example, swapping out a halogen turn signal bulb for an LED will blind oncoming traffic- two totally different things. I also bet you can't name one law of physics. So take your smart ass comments elsewhere.
Doesn't matter low beams, high beams, turn signals, reverse lights, etc etc. Halogens simply emit light differently than LED's, that's a fact. Just because something has different reflectors and is intended for a different purpose than low beams does not ensure that it's not glaring people. All you've been saying is "Look, I swear it doesn't glare!", but literally the first picture you posted in post #2 shows that the cornering light is substantially brighter than the low beams.

Turn signals absolutely can be blinding - especially when people have a habit of modding the turn signal so it's no longer amber. Proper halogen to LED turn signal upgrades that don't blind people is due more to the fact that the turn signal housing is amber.

Saying I can't name one law of physics is just outlandish, and doesn't really help your ethos as all. I can try to prove to you that I understand physics by spelling out how the laws of motion work, what conservation of mass and energy is, or how to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of a magnetic charge. Nevertheless, all that can all be simply dismissed with you saying "LOL NICE GOOGLING", which why it's pointless for me to try to prove to you anything.

You're just relying on making ad hominem attacks to try to make it seem like you have a valid argument. Literally the first reply you made to me immediately jumped to insulting someone's character. You seem excessively aggressive and defensive for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't matter low beams, high beams, turn signals, reverse lights, etc etc. Halogens simply emit light differently than LED's, that's a fact. Just because something has different reflectors and is intended for a different purpose than low beams does not ensure that it's not glaring people. All you've been saying is "Look, I swear it doesn't glare!", but literally the first picture you posted in post #2 shows that the cornering light is substantially brighter than the low beams.

Turn signals absolutely can be blinding - especially when people have a habit of modding the turn signal so it's no longer amber. Proper halogen to LED turn signal upgrades that don't blind people is due more to the fact that the turn signal housing is amber.

Saying I can't name one law of physics is just outlandish, and doesn't really help your ethos as all. I can try to prove to you that I understand physics by spelling out how the laws of motion work, what conservation of mass and energy is, or how to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of a magnetic charge. Nevertheless, all that can all be simply dismissed with you saying "LOL NICE GOOGLING", which why it's pointless for me to try to prove to you anything.

You're just relying on making ad hominem attacks to try to make it seem like you have a valid argument. Literally the first reply you made to me immediately jumped to insulting someone's character. You seem excessively aggressive and defensive for no reason.
Dude I think your getting way too deep for a cornering light post. The OP is right, the cornering light won't cause glare even if it's led. And tbh do u even have an F10 and have tried this? If not, leave the unnecessary criticism elsewhere. There's no need for you to start pulling out 11th grade logical fallacy terms on us.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #42
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dude I think your getting way too deep for a cornering light post. The OP is right, the cornering light won't cause glare even if it's led. And tbh do u even have an F10 and have tried this? If not, leave the unnecessary criticism elsewhere. There's no need for you to start pulling out 11th grade logical fallacy terms on us.
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=138

You should probably do some really simple profile searching before throwing out random accusation, you only make yourself look foolish in the end.

As for the topic at hand, the LED cornering light absolutely will cause glare. There's plenty of Civics on the road with properly aimed headlights but still glare the heck out of everyone due to still using halogen reflectors. I don't know why you guys are so adamant about saying it won't. Trying to rationalize your purchases?

Also, why shouldn't I call out OP for using ad hominem attacks? There's absolutely no need to go around insulting a person's intelligence for simply calling out an issue with their mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #43
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

F10 LED Cornering light Upgrade retrofit

Quote:
Quote:
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=138

You should probably do some really simple profile searching before throwing out random accusation, you only make yourself look foolish in the end.

As for the topic at hand, the LED cornering light absolutely will cause glare. There's plenty of Civics on the road with properly aimed headlights but still glare the heck out of everyone due to still using halogen reflectors. I don't know why you guys are so adamant about saying it won't. Trying to rationalize your purchases?

Also, why shouldn't I call out OP for using ad hominem attacks? There's absolutely no need to go around insulting a person's intelligence for simply calling out an issue with their mod.
That's your issue... nobody asked for you to comment and depreciate this guys mod. Just let him do it. I wouldn't want someone calling out my mod. I didn't make a random accusation when I replied to you. If it had such a glare that you make it seem to have then when haven't I been flashed by oncoming traffic? A proper led bulb will not glare. I mean seriously, there so many aftermarket led fog lights nowadays and majority of people don't seem to have a problem with it. Same principle with putting a decent led in a corner light housing. There's not much else to debate about.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #44
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's your issue... nobody asked for you to comment and depreciate this guys mod. Just let him do it. I wouldn't want someone calling out my mod. I didn't make a random accusation when I replied to you. If it had such a glare that you make it seem to have then when haven't I been flashed by oncoming traffic? A proper led bulb will not glare. I mean seriously, there so many aftermarket led fog lights nowadays and majority of people don't seem to have a problem with it. Same principle with putting a decent led in a corner light housing. There's not much else to debate about.
Quote:
I didn't make a random accusation when I replied to you
Quote:
And tbh do u even have an F10
Hmmmm. Sure.

Yes, a LED bulb in a housing designed for LED bulbs will not glare. The key issue is that the housing in the corning light is not designed for a LED bulb, they use different reflector designs in LED and Halogen housings. Seriously, just look at BMW's own LED headlight housing designs. They're nothing like halogen ones for a reason. There's a TON of examples on various other car forums of people complaining about others putting the power of a small sun in their headlights.

Quote:
If it had such a glare that you make it seem to have then when haven't I been flashed by oncoming traffic?
Because you're a whooping sample size of one. Woah.

I absolutely will criticize someone for a mod that can directly negatively affect other drivers, especially if it's being passed off as just an "aesthetic mod". If I installed a similar mod, I'd be perfectly open to such criticisms. Not only that, you're also risking another driver's safety. A very bright light on a dark road is very distracting and can seriously reduce their night vision for a couple of minutes. Unless, of course, you don't really care about this, then go ahead and do whatever you want.
Appreciate 1
ThaiBruin168.00