2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 LED Cornering light Upgrade retrofit

10-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #45
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
That's your issue... nobody asked for you to comment and depreciate this guys mod. Just let him do it. I wouldn't want someone calling out my mod. I didn't make a random accusation when I replied to you. If it had such a glare that you make it seem to have then when haven't I been flashed by oncoming traffic? A proper led bulb will not glare. I mean seriously, there so many aftermarket led fog lights nowadays and majority of people don't seem to have a problem with it. Same principle with putting a decent led in a corner light housing. There's not much else to debate about.
Quote:
I didn't make a random accusation when I replied to you
Quote:
And tbh do u even have an F10
Hmmmm. Sure.

Yes, a LED bulb in a housing designed for LED bulbs will not glare. The key issue is that the housing in the corning light is not designed for a LED bulb, they use different reflector designs in LED and Halogen housings. Seriously, just look at BMW's own LED headlight housing designs. They're nothing like halogen ones for a reason. There's a TON of examples on various other car forums of people complaining about others putting the power of a small sun in their headlights.

Quote:
If it had such a glare that you make it seem to have then when haven't I been flashed by oncoming traffic?
Because you're a whooping sample size of one. Woah.

I absolutely will criticize someone for a mod that can directly negatively affect other drivers, especially if it's being passed off as just an "aesthetic mod". If I installed a similar mod, I'd be perfectly open to such criticisms. Not only that, you're also risking another driver's safety. A very bright light on a dark road is very distracting and can seriously reduce their night vision for a couple of minutes. Unless, of course, you don't really care about this, then go ahead and do whatever you want.
You've really taken it upon yourself to show us the size of your balls huh. No one cares what you know about physics, let alone anything so gtfoh. FYI cornering lights only come on when you're turning, going below a certain speed, with the light directed to the side. So your whole argument of light being flashed onto oncoming traffic isn't even valid. I also don't know who has time for this nonsense. Get a life
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
You've really taken it upon yourself to show us the size of your balls huh. No one cares what you know about physics
Quote:
I also bet you can't name one law of physics. So take your smart ass comments elsewhere.
I dunno man, seems like you care

Last edited by Unspec; 10-17-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #47
CommoN81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Thanks for the post as I have been looking to do this. just want to confirm which adapter to order... is it KP 101 or KP 102?

Also did you change the temp of the HID? trying to have it all match the halos.. which I think is 5k?? I prefer a white output vs blue tint. If you did can u tell me where you ordered the HID from too?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #48
HizEternal
Rep
Drives: Jet Black F10 535XI

Lol so this guy is talking about glare when there are several vehicles out that blind the hell out of drivers aka the new Acura’s with their headlights. Also the cornering light only comes on when you’re turning or have the turn signal on.

I find it hilarious. Especially since here in dc a high number of drivers go down the street with high beams on. Yet this guy is criticizing the use of led bulbs in the part of the housing that doesn’t even stay on for long periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #49
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoN81 View Post
Thanks for the post as I have been looking to do this. just want to confirm which adapter to order... is it KP 101 or KP 102?

Also did you change the temp of the HID? trying to have it all match the halos.. which I think is 5k?? I prefer a white output vs blue tint. If you did can u tell me where you ordered the HID from too?

TIA
101. And I didn't use HIDs. I used LEDs. HIDs for this purpose wouldn't work well since HIDs take a little to warm up and the cornering lights turn on and off within about 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #50
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HizEternal View Post
Lol so this guy is talking about glare when there are several vehicles out that blind the hell out of drivers aka the new Acura's with their headlights. Also the cornering light only comes on when you're turning or have the turn signal on.

I find it hilarious. Especially since here in dc a high number of drivers go down the street with high beams on. Yet this guy is criticizing the use of led bulbs in the part of the housing that doesn't even stay on for long periods of time.
Idk man. People have some extra time on their hands 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #51
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Lol so this guy is talking about glare when there are several vehicles out that blind the hell out of drivers aka the new Acura's with their headlights. Also the cornering light only comes on when you're turning or have the turn signal on.

I find it hilarious. Especially since here in dc a high number of drivers go down the street with high beams on. Yet this guy is criticizing the use of led bulbs in the part of the housing that doesn't even stay on for long periods of time.
Idk man. People have some extra time on their hands 😂
Thank god i wasn't the only one who thought that guy was so extra 😬
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #52
CommoN81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TIA
101. And I didn't use HIDs. I used LEDs. HIDs for this purpose wouldn't work well since HIDs take a little to warm up and the cornering lights turn on and off within about 5 seconds.

Thanks. I was referring to the actual headlights with HID not the corner lights. looks like headlamp HID is color matched to the corner lights and halos. so was curious if you swapped those out too for 5 or 6k.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #53
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TIA
Quote:
Quote:

TIA

Thanks. I was referring to the actual headlights with HID not the corner lights. looks like headlamp HID is color matched to the corner lights and halos. so was curious if you swapped those out too for 5 or 6k.
Oh gotcha. No I didn't. They're the stock ones. Plus I heard they are a big pita to change
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #54
CommoN81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Idk man. People have some extra time on their hands
Thank god i wasn't the only one who thought that guy was so extra

Same here. bit extra on a corner light discussion
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #55
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank god i wasn't the only one who thought that guy was so extra ��
Enjoy blinding people and being "that BMW guy"

Half of ya'll don't understand physics and it shows
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #56
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I drove a BMW loaner with LED cornering lights and I don't think I "blinded" anyone when I was turning. The lights we're all talking about won't blind anyone.

Maybe you can preach your light gospel elsewhere. Maybe where it its applicable.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #57
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
I drove a BMW loaner with LED cornering lights and I don't think I "blinded" anyone when I was turning. The lights we're all talking about won't blind anyone.

Maybe you can preach your light gospel elsewhere. Maybe where it its applicable.
You got a loaner from the dealer with LED cornering lights, which means that loaner had LED cornering lights from the factory most likely. Which means the housing and reflectors was designed for LED's. I'm not saying LED's are bad, I'm just saying using them in the wrong application is bad.

It's 100% applicable here, people just refuse to admit that it's a bad idea because "ohmahgawd led>>>>halogens i need mah led"

Also, how would you know you didn't blind anyone, you're in the driver's seat lmfao
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #58
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Also, how would you know you didn't blind anyone, you're in the driver's seat lmfao[/QUOTE]

With the point you're trying to drive home how are we sure about anything? How am I sure that you yourself know anything about physics that you proclaim to know? Where is your supplemental evidence to show that it does blind people? Did you do a survey or a credible study that has been reviewed by such physicists? If not, shut the hell up and move on, you wannabe keyboard warrior.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #59
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Also, how would you know you didn't blind anyone, you're in the driver's seat lmfao

With the point you're trying to drive home how are we sure about anything? How am I sure that you yourself know anything about physics that you proclaim to know? Where is your supplemental evidence to show that it does blind people? Did you do a survey or a credible study that has been reviewed by such physicists? If not, shut the hell up and move on, you wannabe keyboard warrior.
You take the car, find a flat wall, and take light beam measurements. The point I'm making is that saying "I'm sure I didn't blind anyone" while you're actually driving the car is way too unpredictable of an environment to say that your headlights aren't glaring other drivers. I haven't actually seen anyone post proof that the cornering lights aren't glaring other drivers, besides people going "I SWEAR it's not, trust me bro". Literally the first photo in this post by OP shows how scattered the light is, and just how much brighter it is compared to the low beams, which means it has a pretty high chance of glaring others.

I used to collimate refractor telescopes while working at my university's astronomy department, so I think I have a pretty good idea of how light works.

Last edited by Unspec; 12-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Broken quote
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #60
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
You take the car, find a flat wall, and take headlight beam. The point I'm making is that saying "I'm sure I didn't blind anyone" while you're actually driving the car is way too unpredictable of an environment to say that your headlights aren't glaring other drivers. I haven't actually seen anyone post proof that the cornering lights aren't glaring other drivers, besides people going "I SWEAR it's not, trust me bro". Literally the first photo in this post by OP shows how scattered the light is, and just how much brighter it is compared to the low beams, which means it has a pretty high chance of glaring others.

I used to collimate refractor telescopes while working at my university's astronomy department, so I think I have a pretty good idea of how light works.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the headlight a focused beam and the cornering light a diffused beam?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #61
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the headlight a focused beam and the cornering light a diffused beam?
Yep pretty sure it's a diffused beam. They're intended to light up the area you're turning into indiscriminately. If it were a focused beam, this wouldn't be much of an issue, but diffused beams tend to just shovel light everywhere. Not much an issue with halogens, but LED's are so much brighter.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #62
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the pics
Apologies for posting so late! I am trying to change my h7 bulbs to LED I found out the hard way that the clip doesn’t work because it’s too narrow and the LED won’t fit. I am curious what size adapter clip did you buy off Amazon in your link?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #63
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post
Quote:
Here's the pics
Apologies for posting so late! I am trying to change my h7 bulbs to LED I found out the hard way that the clip doesn’t work because it’s too narrow and the LED won’t fit. I am curious what size adapter clip did you buy off Amazon in your link?
Kp 101 on that link
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #64
NZ-M340ixDrive
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji335i View Post
Quote:
Here's the pics
Apologies for posting so late! I am trying to change my h7 bulbs to LED I found out the hard way that the clip doesn't work because it's too narrow and the LED won't fit. I am curious what size adapter clip did you buy off Amazon in your link?
Kp 101 on that link
Thanks buddy all ordered just waiting game as I'm in New Zealand! Hate the yellow cornering lights with white angel eyes
M340i xDrive Top Mount big single in the works
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #65
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

Please guys, be careful blinding people with this diffused beam angled towards the corner.

Think about the children!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #66
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
Please guys, be careful blinding people with this diffused beam angled towards the corner.

Think about the children!!!
Lmao. Calm tf down
Appreciate 0