2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone here tracking their F10?

03-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 1985 Grand Wagoneer

Anyone here tracking their F10?

Just curious if anyone else runs their F10 at open track days/HPDE events? Wondering how they perform and how the brakes hold up. I just recently picked up another f10 (535i 6MT) and will be using it for this purpose when not toting the kids around and would like to know what flaws it presents when put under this kind of stress.

Last edited by Laserbeam...er; 03-21-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

No one? I know it is not a popular platform for this but I expected at least a few rogues on here willing to beat on their F10's on more than just a straight line!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Hella-Buggin'
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Porsche 997S

Too heavy. The brakes and tires probably won't last a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
This would be interesting to see! I kind of enjoy the way my F10 feels thru the corners, if I get a chance I wouldn't mind running my car in an autocross. Hoping to take it to the 1/4 soon, but it's just an fbo 535i xDrive with jb4
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Let's put it this way. Name a single factor of the F10 that would make you think it's a good car for tracking. There are none. You'd need to drop $2600 on KW V3s just to begin with and that won't even be enough.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin' View Post
Too heavy. The brakes and tires probably won't last a day.
It really isn't much heavier (~700 lbs.) than the Porsche 997 I just sold. Had plenty of fun with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Let's put it this way. Name a single factor of the F10 that would make you think it's a good car for tracking. There are none. You'd need to drop $2600 on KW V3s just to begin with and that won't even be enough.
Do either of you have experience using your F10 on a road course? I was specifically asking for impressions from those who have. I have been licensed with NASA and SCCA for years, already have a dedicated track car, and purchased my F10 535i 6MT as a fun family vehicle that I could take out and have some fun with if I wanted to/use as an instructor vehicle if desired. I was not looking for impressions on why I shouldn't track it. I have already addressed the suspension and feel that it is more than adequate for what I will be doing with it. I was more concerned with other weak points from this kind of stress.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

The 5-er is arguably better in every way than a typical 3 series IMO including a more advanced suspension that can easily be improved, even from the base version, with Koni shocks and PSS tires. Even the standard G30 seats are great as sports seats if you can fit into them (standard f10 seats are more generous, ahem). My standard LCI 5-er came with sport transmission, 18 inch wheels/45 aspect tires, and a better steering response than any M335i I've ever tried (at the BMW track no less).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
I track mine
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 3
      03-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
Matt338
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

I tracked mine once about a month or two ago. Car is a '16 535i M Sport with DHP and IAS on OEM 19s with run flats. Did 5 laps of Palm Beach Int'l Raceway here in Florida with an instructor.
Car is definitely heavy, no getting around that. That said, it did well. Didn't feel as big as I expected. I wasn't out for that long but the brakes never faded. Was actually braking after the instructor said to and it had no problem slowing in the allotted space. Changed direction quickly and confidently; on the longer, slow, tighter corners I was really impressed. Each lap I took them faster and faster and the car held its line each time. Way more fun than I expected it to be. I've only briefly driven other 535s with the standard M Sport suspension so can't really compare, but I have to assume the DHP made a nice improvement to the handling on the track.
I tried a lap with automatic shifting but even in sport + the transmission felt lazy and was too prone to upshift (a weird complaint based on how it behaves in normal street driving). Regardless, you'll definitely need to be shifting your own gears for it to be responsive enough.
Now with all this said, I'm not sure how competitive it would be against, well, just about anything else someone would want to drive on the track. If you're just looking to have more fun than you can on the road, highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #10
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
I track mine
Looks awesome! How has your car done? Have you had to address any weak points?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #11
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt338 View Post
I tracked mine once about a month or two ago. Car is a '16 535i M Sport with DHP and IAS on OEM 19s with run flats. Did 5 laps of Palm Beach Int'l Raceway here in Florida with an instructor.
Car is definitely heavy, no getting around that. That said, it did well. Didn't feel as big as I expected. I wasn't out for that long but the brakes never faded. Was actually braking after the instructor said to and it had no problem slowing in the allotted space. Changed direction quickly and confidently; on the longer, slow, tighter corners I was really impressed. Each lap I took them faster and faster and the car held its line each time. Way more fun than I expected it to be. I've only briefly driven other 535s with the standard M Sport suspension so can't really compare, but I have to assume the DHP made a nice improvement to the handling on the track.
I tried a lap with automatic shifting but even in sport + the transmission felt lazy and was too prone to upshift (a weird complaint based on how it behaves in normal street driving). Regardless, you'll definitely need to be shifting your own gears for it to be responsive enough.
Now with all this said, I'm not sure how competitive it would be against, well, just about anything else someone would want to drive on the track. If you're just looking to have more fun than you can on the road, highly recommended.

That's good news about the brakes. I have already ordered drilled rotors and upgraded pads but I really don't feel the need to do any sort of big brake kit as this isn't a dedicated track car.

As a concession for being somewhat forced to opt for a larger daily use vehicle I found the lightest possible F10 and waited a long time to find a bare-bones manual transmission version of the 535i. It comes in just shy of 3,700 lbs. without me in it. With the H&R springs, H&R sway bars, and Koni adjustable shocks I think it handles quite well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
nwob
Private
Rep
Drives: 13' 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserbeam...er View Post
That's good news about the brakes. I have already ordered drilled rotors and upgraded pads but I really don't feel the need to do any sort of big brake kit as this isn't a dedicated track car.

As a concession for being somewhat forced to opt for a larger daily use vehicle I found the lightest possible F10 and waited a long time to find a bare-bones manual transmission version of the 535i. It comes in just shy of 3,700 lbs. without me in it. With the H&R springs, H&R sway bars, and Koni adjustable shocks I think it handles quite well.
what rotors and pads did you end up going with? When my rotors get hot in the canyons my steering wheel starts shaking a little under braking. trying to see what the bests options are for our f10s.
      03-26-2020, 01:19 AM   #13
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I track mine
Looks awesome! How has your car done? Have you had to address any weak points?
Car didn't do too bad, 2:14 around Fontana Speedway. I think with the new hardware i have and fueling I can get low 2 minutes. The weak point is the chasis stiffness. I upgraded my sways, springs and suspension, increased tire width.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #14
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwob View Post
what rotors and pads did you end up going with? When my rotors get hot in the canyons my steering wheel starts shaking a little under braking. trying to see what the bests options are for our f10s.
I went with the powerstop kit. Have had good luck with their products in the past and for the price you cannot beat the value. Have beaten their rotors to death on the track and they have held up very well.

Quote:
Car didn't do too bad, 2:14 around Fontana Speedway. I think with the new hardware i have and fueling I can get low 2 minutes. The weak point is the chasis stiffness. I upgraded my sways, springs and suspension, increased tire width.
I have been tossing around whether or not I should start installing polyurethane bushings in the vehicle or if it would be worth the bother. I think it would be beneficial to do the rear subframe bushings if nothing else but haven't convinced myself to drop the subframe yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #15
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwob View Post
I went with the powerstop kit. Have had good luck with their products in the past and for the price you cannot beat the value. Have beaten their rotors to death on the track and they have held up very well.

Quote:
I have been tossing around whether or not I should start installing polyurethane bushings in the vehicle or if it would be worth the bother. I think it would be beneficial to do the rear subframe bushings if nothing else but haven't convinced myself to drop the subframe yet.
That's great news about the power stop product. Though I'm down with lifetime pads and rotors from FCP.

If your serious about mounts like me look at this pricy option from VTT

https://vargasturbo.com/product/vtt-...mount-inserts/

And there's claim it maintains some level stock NVH

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's great news about the power stop product. Though I'm down with lifetime pads and rotors from FCP.

If your serious about mounts like me look at this pricy option from VTT

https://vargasturbo.com/product/vtt-...mount-inserts/

And there's claim it maintains some level stock NVH
Nice! I hadn't seen those before! Based on the design I can imagine it wouldn't transmit much for NVH, but simply helps stabilize the rubber bushing. I like that design and I don't think $150 is a bad price for that. I spent almost $500 on my previous HPDE/family car (Audi S3) for engine, tranny, and dogbone torque arm mounts. I was looking for some ~85 duro engine and trans mounts for the F10 but had come up dry on options until this.
Appreciate 0