2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 530d sound system issue

09-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
seguero
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

2013 530d sound system issue

Hello again guys.
A year ago I bought this beautiful f10 63 plate but I was disappointed when i heard the basic sound system. So this year I tried to do some modifications to the whole thing and was more or less successful.

Firstly, I changed the front doors speakers and tweeters to HK speakers, adding highs to this system is a very good improvement. Then I bought and installed HK speakers and tweeters to the rear and central dashboard. The day after I put in the HK under seat woofers and an amazing thing happened, they were using all the power and everything except woofers and rear speakers stopped working.
I realised that I need an amplifier, so I added a 4 channel amp and connected the rear and front speakers to it. Done all that but after all this work, there wasn't enough bass so I put an EDGE subwoofer with a built in amp on top of that. That was the moment I decicded to look for answers because with all these upgrades the bass is stil weak. The woofer in the trunk is adding some deep base but it's below average.
I also coded the audio system to individual sound in the Bimmercode app, tried all the profiles but this one provides the best sound for my taste.

I tried turning up the bass but a weird thing is happening, when the bass kicks in or I put on a song with more powerful bass, the other speakers produce a lowered sound so I can only hear the bass but not the high sounds.

Sorry for the long story, I hope I can find some help here or a recommendation.
Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a feeling that your polarity are mixed up for the woofers and subwoofers so they actually cancel out when the bass comes on. If you disable the woofers or subwoofer and hear more bass, that is a polarity issue. Just swap the positive and negative around at the amp output and see if it improve.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS, M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguero View Post
Hello again guys.
A year ago I bought this beautiful f10 63 plate but I was disappointed when i heard the basic sound system. So this year I tried to do some modifications to the whole thing and was more or less successful.

Firstly, I changed the front doors speakers and tweeters to HK speakers, adding highs to this system is a very good improvement. Then I bought and installed HK speakers and tweeters to the rear and central dashboard. The day after I put in the HK under seat woofers and an amazing thing happened, they were using all the power and everything except woofers and rear speakers stopped working.
I realised that I need an amplifier, so I added a 4 channel amp and connected the rear and front speakers to it. Done all that but after all this work, there wasn't enough bass so I put an EDGE subwoofer with a built in amp on top of that. That was the moment I decicded to look for answers because with all these upgrades the bass is stil weak. The woofer in the trunk is adding some deep base but it's below average.
I also coded the audio system to individual sound in the Bimmercode app, tried all the profiles but this one provides the best sound for my taste.

I tried turning up the bass but a weird thing is happening, when the bass kicks in or I put on a song with more powerful bass, the other speakers produce a lowered sound so I can only hear the bass but not the high sounds.

Sorry for the long story, I hope I can find some help here or a recommendation.
Thank you for your time.
Upgrade the under-seat woofers with Bavsound Ghost or Alpha One. I have them and it's way better than having a sub in the trunk anyday
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
seguero
Rep

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I've had this problem with the basic sound system aswell so it couldn't be the polarity I think because I didn't even have an amplifier before. The car had the same issue even with the original speakers.
As of upgrading the under-seat I dont think that's going to help, the problem is it doesn't work like it should, more powerful subwoofers won't help, it will only make it worse.

I will try to re-explain what my issue is cuz I was a bit tired when I wrote the original post and it doesn't fully explain my problem.
Let's say I'm listening to a rock song, cuz those usually don't have such a powerful bass - this kind of songs sounds awesome, very clear, really high volume. Then I put a rap song which makes more use of the bass, the problem appears with the first lower frequency that hits, so if by now the door speakers and tweeters were running at 100% of their capacity, as soon as the bass hits both of them they produce the sound at 50% (the higher the bass is on a song, the lower the level of the mids and highs).
A more specific example, let's say I wanna play "21 Savage & J. Cole - a lot", the bass on that song is constant, all the time at the same level, so when I'm playing that song it feels like my speakers are working only at half capacity, just because the bass is too strong.

I've also tried playing CDs, AUX, Bluetooth or playing from HU Hard Drive, they all sound the same.

One guy was saying on a different thread that he installed bassblockers between underseat subwoofers and door speakers cuz apparently they run together and the door speakers need to be limited on a specific frequency. I don't know if I should bother testing considering that I've been already spent months trying to figure it out so I will wait for your opinion on this first.

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
seguero
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

which amp did you install? for me i have the Match7BMW with built in DSP. this allows me to set all the parameters and slopes for all speakers especially the 8" subwoofer under the seat. i leave all low level signals for the subwoofer in my trunk. the underseat woofer needs to be set as a mid now. probably why you're getting either muddy or cancelation of low sub signals.

here's my build thread
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726050
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0