2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Did I brick my TCU? Failed XHP Stage 3 flash

12-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

Did I brick my TCU? Failed XHP Stage 3 flash

Hello all! I have a 2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe w/the 8 speed transmission. I am posting on this forum since its more active regarding XHP than the F06.

I recently purchased the XHP Flashtool license and OTS maps to flash my car to Stage 3, using my iPhone and a MHD ENET adapter. I followed all instructions (door closed, a/c & radio off, headlights off, nav screen off, good battery, seat belt connected).

However, during mid-flash, XHP aborted the download, and now my car says "Transmission Malfunction" and won't go into gear. I tried several times and it does the same exact thing. Engine starts though.

I have reached out to XHP on Facebook, Instagram, and through email. Waiting to hear back word from them. Would anyone have any advice or guidance on this issue? Has anyone experienced this with their flash? Please, any help and/or info is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Try flashing back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
Hello all! I have a 2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe w/the 8 speed transmission. I am posting on this forum since its more active regarding XHP than the F06.

I recently purchased the XHP Flashtool license and OTS maps to flash my car to Stage 3, using my iPhone and a MHD ENET adapter. I followed all instructions (door closed, a/c & radio off, headlights off, nav screen off, good battery, seat belt connected).

However, during mid-flash, XHP aborted the download, and now my car says "Transmission Malfunction" and won't go into gear. I tried several times and it does the same exact thing. Engine starts though.

I have reached out to XHP on Facebook, Instagram, and through email. Waiting to hear back word from them. Would anyone have any advice or guidance on this issue? Has anyone experienced this with their flash? Please, any help and/or info is much appreciated.
Try flash back to stock as above post states and try to clear codes
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:13 AM   #4
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’ve tried but it’s doing the same. Code wise, the car is saying “No communication with TCU”.

I have the car on a battery charger now, and I’m gonna try to reflash to stock one more time when fully charged.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many German broads

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Any update?
I fixed it! This is for future reference for those who are looking to download XHP and may be having the same issues as I experienced.

I picked up a 12v/15 Amp smart battery charger from Autozone, and hooked it up to the front terminals to charge the battery.

After completely charging it overnight, I reconnected my iPhone to the MHD Wifi adapter. I think the app & adapter had issues with my phone (as it would not constantly end the connection), so I downloaded the app on my iPad and connected to the adapter. Worked flawlessly after that.

I uninstalled XHP, flashed to the stock map, and then all malfunctions were automatically cleared. I took it for a 20 min drive to ensure all was okay, and then reflashed the latest version of Stage 3 before taking another 40 mile drive.

My impressions are:

1.) Comfort doesn't seem much different or faster in shifting. Maybe slightly faster, but a very nuanced change.

2.) Sport Mode was the biggest difference. Very quick in shifting and absolutely felt a bit more torquey. Also cool that I can cruise in 8th while in Sport.

3.) Eco mode actually feels drivable and not as "boggy" as before surprisingly.

4.) Gas mileage slightly increased. This 4200 pound yacht averaged 31 mpg on the highway while cruising around 80-83 mph.

Overall, I can't really yet justify the $300 bucks for the software. The car already came stock with the Sport Transmission option, so it already was a superb trans unit. Maybe I have to drive it more to really feel the full benefits of the flash.

I think I may flash stage 2 today just to see. Stage 3 Comfort D holds the gears a bit longer than I’m comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many German broads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Any update?
I fixed it! This is for future reference for those who are looking to download XHP and may be having the same issues as I experienced.

I picked up a 12v/15 Amp smart battery charger from Autozone, and hooked it up to the front terminals to charge the battery.

After completely charging it overnight, I reconnected my iPhone to the MHD Wifi adapter. I think the app & adapter had issues with my phone (as it would not constantly end the connection), so I downloaded the app on my iPad and connected to the adapter. Worked flawlessly after that.

I uninstalled XHP, flashed to the stock map, and then all malfunctions were automatically cleared. I took it for a 20 min drive to ensure all was okay, and then reflashed the latest version of Stage 3 before taking another 40 mile drive.

My impressions are:

1.) Comfort doesn't seem much different or faster in shifting. Maybe slightly faster, but a very nuanced change.

2.) Sport Mode was the biggest difference. Very quick in shifting and absolutely felt a bit more torquey. Also cool that I can cruise in 8th while in Sport.

3.) Eco mode actually feels drivable and not as "boggy" as before surprisingly.

4.) Gas mileage slightly increased. This 4200 pound yacht averaged 31 mpg on the highway while cruising around 80-83 mph.

Overall, I can't really yet justify the $300 bucks for the software. The car already came stock with the Sport Transmission option, so it already was a superb trans unit. Maybe I have to drive it more to really feel the full benefits of the flash.

I think I may flash stage 2 today just to see. Stage 3 Comfort D holds the gears a bit longer than I’m comfortable with.
Might as well get BM3 and use their free trans flash. Probably almost the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

At this point, it wouldn’t make any sense since I’ve already paid for XHP. And given that I would like to tune to MHD Stage 1, XHP supposedly works well with MHD.

I’m actually starting to like XHP. While comfort is relatively the same, sport mode transforms the car into a different animal
Appreciate 0