2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Heard a funny noise now engine won't start.

02-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
dzeffarski
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 528

Heard a funny noise now engine won't start.

First time poster so please forgive my ignorance, I haven't found any posts that match my problem exactly. If there is something I missed please link it to this post so that I can explore fixing my car.

A quick summary as to how I got to where my car won't start:
* I changed the oil (myself for the 1st time) and did not realize that a part of the oil cap had come off and was attached to the oil filter. I tossed it with the oil filter.
* I was by an auto parts store when the 'low oil pressure' light came on so I bought a quart and added it. I made it home no problem.
* Next day went out for a drive and it happened again but seeing a bunch of oil on the driveway thought something really bad happened. Bought another 5 liter bottle of oil and added it... didn't help.
* in the mean time my new oil filter cap arrived and I replaced it, hoping to help the low oil pressure and helping the measurement to get over the 17% mark but didn't help.
* I drained all of the oil and 10+ liters came out (save your criticism).
* Closed the oil pan and added about 4 liters of oil (not the full bottle).
* Started the car and a LOT of white smoke came out the tail pipe, the engine sounded terrible but settled down. As the smoke became less the engine sounded better.

At this point I pulled it out of the garage, had been running for more than 5 minutes. Moved my 328 diesel wagon into the garage and as I was starting to move the 528 into it's spot in the driveway (pull up the street a bit so I could back it in) there was a loud sound and the engine turned off. Fortunately it shifted to N and I could coast it back into the drive way.

the loud sound, to me, sounded similar to the sound of a grinding starter motor you hear if the car is running and you try to turn the key.

That said, if you go to this link I have a video of the sound it makes when you press the Start button https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZoBTXMsTAqnkReE7

Any ides, suggestions as to what I could look into to fix it or is the car a 5000 lawn decoration?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Did you throw away plastic filter holder assembly in trash? How did you install new oil filter?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
dzeffarski
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 528

Yes, the part that inserts into the filter. I just placed the filter into the housing and closed the cap.

Again, I had never changed the oil on that (or any BMW) myself so I was unaware of the piece.

I bought a new cap and installed it just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 S55, E93 M3, E89 N54

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2011 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Did you see where the oil was coming from? Adding that much is pretty extreme. The plastic part inside the cap keeps the filter itself from collapsing under all that pressure and if it collapses then oil can't flow and you could starve your engine of oil... but where was it leaking from?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #5
p_nadar
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 535xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeffarski View Post
First time poster so please forgive my ignorance, I haven't found any posts that match my problem exactly. If there is something I missed please link it to this post so that I can explore fixing my car.

A quick summary as to how I got to where my car won't start:
* I changed the oil (myself for the 1st time) and did not realize that a part of the oil cap had come off and was attached to the oil filter. I tossed it with the oil filter.
* I was by an auto parts store when the 'low oil pressure' light came on so I bought a quart and added it. I made it home no problem.
* Next day went out for a drive and it happened again but seeing a bunch of oil on the driveway thought something really bad happened. Bought another 5 liter bottle of oil and added it... didn't help.
* in the mean time my new oil filter cap arrived and I replaced it, hoping to help the low oil pressure and helping the measurement to get over the 17% mark but didn't help.
* I drained all of the oil and 10+ liters came out (save your criticism).
* Closed the oil pan and added about 4 liters of oil (not the full bottle).
* Started the car and a LOT of white smoke came out the tail pipe, the engine sounded terrible but settled down. As the smoke became less the engine sounded better.

At this point I pulled it out of the garage, had been running for more than 5 minutes. Moved my 328 diesel wagon into the garage and as I was starting to move the 528 into it's spot in the driveway (pull up the street a bit so I could back it in) there was a loud sound and the engine turned off. Fortunately it shifted to N and I could coast it back into the drive way.

the loud sound, to me, sounded similar to the sound of a grinding starter motor you hear if the car is running and you try to turn the key.

That said, if you go to this link I have a video of the sound it makes when you press the Start button https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZoBTXMsTAqnkReE7

Any ides, suggestions as to what I could look into to fix it or is the car a 5000 lawn decoration?
Did you use the Mann Filter?
MANN Filter HU816x
There was a YouTuber, Justin Buice, who used a different filter by mistake and it made a loud wining noise. He changed back to the MANN Filter and no more loud noise.

As for the oil leak, did you make sure you removed the washer on the oil pan when removing the drain bolt and replaced with a new one? Sometimes it gets stuck on the surface when removing the drain plug and probably doubled stacked washer now after you installed back the drain plug with the a new washer.

Let us know.
Appreciate 0