2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Whirling noise from car while moving

02-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #1
HoogleyBoogley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Whirling noise from car while moving

So I was driving home one day and then after about 5-10 minutes of starting my car I get a strange noise which I've never heard before. I looked around online but none of the solutions I found really described the noise I heard. I found that when my car was at a stop the noise would also stop but then world pick right back up when I started moving again. Here's a video of what it sounded like from inside the cabin while I was driving.

My car is a 2011 BMW 528i with the N52 engine. Not sure if this matters but I'm from the Chicago area and the weather has been really cold recently and the car was parked outside in below zero temperatures for around 8 hours while I was at work.

Let me know if any other details are needed. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
streetcommander
Rep
Drives: F10 528i x-drive

Difficult to tell from the audio. Sounds like it may be a bad tire or wheel bearing. Could also be rust on the rotors, if it really just happened after sitting for an extended period of time. See if it goes away after some miles, or gets worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Did you drive through snow? Any shaking that you feel? Does the car pull any way if you let go of the wheel at speed?
      02-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #4
HoogleyBoogley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Did you drive through snow? Any shaking that you feel? Does the car pull any way if you let go of the wheel at speed?
The car didn't seem to pull when I let go. Steering wheel sometimes shakes at idle(I have a muffler delete, not sure if that can cause slight vibrations). Whenever I heard this noise there's been pretty heavy snow coming down
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja431.50
      02-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoogleyBoogley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
The car didn't seem to pull when I let go. Steering wheel sometimes shakes at idle(I have a muffler delete, not sure if that can cause slight vibrations). Whenever I heard this noise there's been pretty heavy snow coming down
Perhaps snow build up on something causing the sound. I had to remove my splash shield below the transmission cause it got ripped up making noise. Snow caked in wheels will cause vibration. Just a thought.