2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Power Steering Issue 2013 535XI

10-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Power Steering Issue 2013 535XI

Wife was driving the car home from work and the front driver side CV started to go. It had been making noise for some time, and finally really started to rattle the car. She limped it home about five miles to our house and I went about swapping the driver's side front axle assembly. Pretty routine job. Disconnected the control arms, swung the hub assembly out of the way, and popped out the axle. Did the reverse putting it back together.

Upon starting the car back up, the power steering is amiss. It seems like there is no power steering at idle. The car is easily drivable, but the steering wheel is a little harder to turn. The axle noises are gone and the car drives smoothly.

The dash cluster has the yellow steering wheel icon lit up and says "Steering; Drive Moderately" and the idrive screen says "Continued Driving Possible: Consult Service Center"

There is ample power steering fluid. The pump was working fine before I swapped the axle. As far as I know, I did not do anything that should have impacted the power steering.

What am I missing here? IS there something that needs to be reset if you remove then axle from the hub, or swing the hub from the control arms? It seems oddly coincidental that the power steering would go immediately after the axle.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0