2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Required wires for audio system upgrade

10-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
adnanrocks
Rep
Drives: F10 528i LCI

Required wires for audio system upgrade

Hi all, I have a UK spec 2015 528i with the standard base audio system, no amp, no tweeters. I'm planning on doing a retrofit to the 16 speaker Harman Kardon system S688A and while I understand the speaker/tweeters needed, I need some advise on what wiring will be required.

As far as I understand it, I will need the main Harman Kardon amp harness (something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175267190010) which goes all the way from the amp in the boot to the head unit at the front and I will also need to install new wires from the rear doors and the centre dash speakers/tweeters to the amp but I'm not sure if these are part of the Harman Kardon harness or would I have to create/source these wires seperately.

I'm also abit stumped as to how the amp will receive power. When I look at BMW amps on ebay I can see there are 3 connectors, one for the harness and 2 others which I presume one of which is for the power but where does the other end go to? I want to keep the retrofit as oem/factory like as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Besides the wiring you will also need new rear door panels since the base audio does not have mid speakers net to the inner armrest/door handle. You'll need the door cards with the speakers/cutouts.. should be able to find some on fleabay..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
adnanrocks
Rep
Drives: F10 528i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Besides the wiring you will also need new rear door panels since the base audio does not have mid speakers net to the inner armrest/door handle. You'll need the door cards with the speakers/cutouts.. should be able to find some on fleabay..
Thanks Addy27, yeh I will be changing the rear doors aswell but tbh they're a low priority atm, I'm more concerned about getting the ampifier wiring sorted.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: F02 B7, G12 B7, G07 XB7, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanrocks View Post
....I will also need to install new wires from the the centre dash speakers/tweeters to the amp but I'm not sure if these are part of the Harman Kardon harness or would I have to create/source these wires seperately.
All speakers are driven by the amp, and will be part of the AMP wiring harness with exception of the doors, but the Amp wiring harness will go to each door. Within the doors, each have their own specific wiring harnesses based on the audio type (Basic vs HK vs B&O), and will need to be changed out, unless you know how to add the speaker wires within the door at the connecotors directly located near the door hinge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanrocks View Post
I'm also abit stumped as to how the amp will receive power. When I look at BMW amps on ebay I can see there are 3 connectors, one for the harness and 2 others which I presume one of which is for the power but where does the other end go to? I want to keep the retrofit as oem/factory like as possible.
The red wires in the picture you hyperlinked are the power wires that run along the rear boot from left to right, over to the rear fuse box.

If you are going to install the factory harness, you have a lot of stuff to remove. It's not too bad, but does require you to remove your rear carpet section, as the wiring harness runs from the left side of the vehicle over to the center driveshaft tunnel, which then runs up to your radio on your dashboard, continuing up to your front center speaker.

Also, from the center console area, the rear door speakers run left and right to the B-pillars, which will require you to be able to access the area under the front carpet section rear edge (where the floor base speakers are). If you do NOT install it eactly where the factory laid the harness, you run the risk of not having enough wiring length.

I upgraded my HK to B&O, and if you were in the states, I'd sell you my H-K harness.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0